Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: No volume control
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hoffy

Hi all.
Very new to Dolphin. Have got things working basically but having problems with adjusting the volume.
If I go into config within Dolphin, on the audio tab, the volume slider is greyed out and I can't adjust it.
I found a line in the config file and changed that "volume" entry from 100 to 20. Now in Dolphin config tab, the volume slider is at 20% but still greyed out.

Problem is, that made no difference to the volume.
Can anyone suggest what may be the problem.

I'm running LibreELEC (Linux)

Thank you.
The volume slider only works with the audio backends XAudio2, Cubeb and OpenAL. I think at least one of those is available for your system, but I don't have much experience with the Linux audio backends.
OpenAL and Cubeb should be available in Linux.

I thought our Pulseaudio backend had one too.

wait, irrelevant, libreelec strips out a lot of stuff.

Hoffy

Thanks for the replies guys. This is all new to me.
Possibly one of these might even remove some of the sound stumbles I'm having too.

Will try it tonight.

Hoffy

Unfortunately no luck.
Only options for me are alsa, cubab & pulse.
Switched it to cubeb and was able to change the volume slider but result was no sound in games.

Will have to ask in the LibreELEC forums now that I have some understanding of what's required.

Thanks for your input.

Hoffy

Well, I'm back and not much wiser..
The guy responsible for the build I'm running isn't very helpful. I would say rather arrogant. Unfortunately, ALSA is my only option in LibreELEC. It's a fantastic build with everything built in to the OS.

Anyone know about alsa mixer? He told me to install that and adjust the volume that way. I installed it and figured out how to use it (basically) but it makes no difference to the volume in Dolphin. He basically refused to give me any more information.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or missing a detail. I've tried to read as much as I can regarding it but haven't found a good guide to follow. There was something about a softMaster which I tried but probably didn't manage to do it correctly as nothing changed. Also, when I reboot the computer, any adjustments I make are lost. I'm guessing I need to put something in my asound.config file but can't find the correct information to do this.

My setup is an Intel based PC. The audio and video are both passed to the TV via HDMI out on the graphics card. I run the TV at nearly full volume and control the volume from Kodi. Problem with this is, Dolphin is independent of Kodi so Kodi volume is not used. This is obviously why the volume is so loud when I launch a Dolphin game. I can work around it by turning the TV down before launching but would like to make it so I don't have to do that if it's at all possible.

Adjustments in alsa mixer on the default sound card have no effect on the volume (Master, PCM). If I switch it to the Video card device, I only have SPDIF options which are not adjustable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.