Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Libre laptops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

fervi

Computers are getting faster, but at the same time becoming more expensive (and by junk considered dangerous). I think I would buy a Lenovo Thinkpad X200 Tablet.
https://tehnoetic.com/tet-x200t

All I can do is replace the processor on faster. By contrast, the computer is probably too weak for the Dolphin emulator (for now?). I wanted to ask if there are known improvements to the emulator, and whether from OpenGL (2.x) the Dolphin has a chance to work (because Android requires OpenGLES 3)

Fervi
That computer has a Core 2 Duo L9300 processor and an Intel GMA 4500MHD. A horrible GPU paired with a low-power Core 2 Duo will not run Dolphin at any respectable speeds. No CPU from the Intel Penryn line will be a worthwhile upgrade. And at that price, you might as well just buy a new, powerful laptop with current generation CPU/GPU.

No Dolphin improvements will magically make it run faster on that hardware. It doesn't meet the minimum requirements to run Dolphin.
We require GL 3.2 at minimum to even launch AFAIK. We require much much more to be remotely accurate and fast.

There is nothing that will make Dolphin usable (read, fullspeed in more than 1 or 2 games) on that laptop. You're asking for the impossible.

fervi

Well ... crap Tongue

I will try to find another laptop, upgrade my desktop computer at the very least ...

Thanks for the help

Fervi
I tried to run Dolphin on my old Dell laptop which has a GMA 4500MHD. Dolphin itself actually did launch, but it blackscreened whenever I tried running a game. So no, "libre" hardware is unlikely to meet your performance requirements.