Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Virtual Wii Nand with Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

bubbameyay

Hello, I would like to first express my appreciation on the amazing work on Dolphin and emulation and game preservation in genral.

My question is it possible to use the nand back up of a Virtuall Wii from a Wii U on Dolphin? I have searched to see if anyone else has done this successfully with no direct answer or how to and Dolphin guides and whatnot stating if or how this can be done or supported. I am not as computer savy as most may be related to Dolphin to admit. I first imported the backup of my Virtual Wii nand with Dolphin for it to load to a black screen and freeze. I assumed it was because of the Virtual Wii system menu being different so I used the program “Ohneschwanzenegger” to format the nand and apply a normal Wii system menu 4.3u. The menu will then load but my next problem is when connecting to the Wii Shop I am met with the error 205928 I believe implying that there is a problem with a mismatching certificate and the console ID. I also tried using the nand Dolphin generates and placing the keys.bin in the nand file structure to still be met with the same error in the Wii Shop.

I guess my ultimate question is if it is possible in anyway to apply the files needed to download the Wii Shop purchases as my end goal is to download the games I have purchased linked to that Virtual Wii nand. Sorry for my arogance and I appreciate any information given to me.
Differences with a Wii NAND:

1) The system menu is specific to the Wii U. It may not work on a Wii.
2) All IOS versions will be specific to the Wii U. They *will not* work on a Wii or Dolphin if/when we gain the ability to run IOSes.
3) In general, any other installed title may be designed to only work on a Wii U.
4) There are extra titles in the vWii NAND because of the different PPC bootstrap process on a Wii U. This shouldn't have any effect, but it's yet another difference.
5) There is no keys.bin file you can directly extract from a vWii NAND dump.

Given all the above points, this makes it a somewhat bad idea to use a vWii NAND on a Wii or Dolphin. It'd be better to use Dolphin to generate a proper NAND with *Wii* versions of system titles (not vWii -- they are actually different), and then generate a keys.bin from the Wii U's OTP dump. I don't have the link, but someone made a tool to do so and posted about it on this forum.

bubbameyay

(08-06-2017, 07:15 PM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]Differences with a Wii NAND:

1) The system menu is specific to the Wii U. It may not work on a Wii.
2) All IOS versions will be specific to the Wii U. They *will not* work on a Wii or Dolphin if/when we gain the ability to run IOSes.
3) In general, any other installed title may be designed to only work on a Wii U.
4) There are extra titles in the vWii NAND because of the different PPC bootstrap process on a Wii U. This shouldn't have any effect, but it's yet another difference.
5) There is no keys.bin file you can directly extract from a vWii NAND dump.

Given all the above points, this makes it a somewhat bad idea to use a vWii NAND on a Wii or Dolphin. It'd be better to use Dolphin to generate a proper NAND with *Wii* versions of system titles (not vWii -- they are actually different), and then generate a keys.bin from the Wii U's OTP dump. I don't have the link, but someone made a tool to do so and posted about it on this forum.

Okay thank you very much for the information! Odd I still got a keys.bin from whatever program I used to back up my Virtual Wii nand in the first place. Must just be a false positive if that’s the correct term to use?

Using the extracted keys.bin from the Wii U’s OTP in combination with Dolphin’s generated nand, will that give me what I need to download the purchased titles? Or am I mistaken and is that a lost cause with a Virtual Wii Nand?
The keys.bin file you got might be in the wrong format.

Anyway, I found the link to the post: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-sh...or-dolphin
Using it should allow you to access the shop using your vWii credentials.

bubbameyay

Wow all these amazing programs! Thank you again very much for the information! It’s working like a charm!