Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Performance problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Experiencing periodic freezes and frequent audio/video stutter. Should I be having these issues on this hardware?

i5 6500 @ 3.2GHz
16GB DDR4 2133
EVGA 1050ti SC 4GB (latest drivers)
1TB Western Digital Blue HDD
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Dolphin 5

Games tested:

F-Zero GX
Rogue Squadron II

I have a feeling my CPU isn't quite fast enough. I'm kicking around the idea of upgrading to a 7700k.

Thoughts?
your CPU is fine. You're hitting shader compilation.

Sit tight, we're about to merge a massive feature into the dev branch that should solve this problem that has plagued everybody for years.
(07-30-2017, 12:05 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]your CPU is fine. You're hitting shader compilation.

Sit tight, we're about to merge a massive feature into the dev branch that should solve this problem that has plagued everybody for years.

Great news!

Thanks so much for this emulator!
download the latest development build

Graphics > set backend for Direct3D 11 (recommended for ubershaders on nvidia)
Graphics > Enhancements > turn off Per Pixel Lighting (it gets expensive on ubershaders)
Graphics > Enhancements > Select an ubershaders option. Hybrid if you don't mind slight stuttering, exclusive if you're okay with not setting your internal resolution above... probably 3x for your GPU.
(07-31-2017, 01:44 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]download the latest development build

Graphics > Enhancements > turn off Per Pixel Lighting (it gets expensive on ubershaders)
Graphics > Enhancements > Select an ubershaders option. Hybrid if you don't mind slight stuttering, exclusive if you're okay with not setting your internal resolution above... probably 3x for your GPU.

I'll test it out after work tomorrow and report back.

Thanks again Smile
(07-31-2017, 01:44 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]download the latest development build

Just began playing around with it. Some questions/observations:

Should I uninstall 5.0 or copy the zipfile contents overtop the current install? I noticed they're sharing settings.

In F-Zero, Widescreen mode (in-game option) The menus are scrunched, but the actual racing portions are the correct aspect ratio. If I flip back to 5.0, the ratios are correct.

I encountered the Sand Ocean slow-down bug in this build 5.0-4958

I haven't noticed any performance difference with Ubershaders when switching between Exclusive and Hybrid.

Per pixel lighting doesn't seem to affect performance either.

Maybe the FPS counter is more accurate, but the FPS is fluctuating 58~59.XX - 60~61-XX a lot, whereas the stable build. I get the frequesnt FPS drop/Stutter going between menus and such on both builds.

Continuing to play Smile
do not overwrite existing installs. You'll mess up the GameINIs we ship.
(08-02-2017, 01:35 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]do not overwrite existing installs. You'll mess up the GameINIs we ship.

I didn't. I just unzipped the dev version into its own folder.
(08-02-2017, 02:04 PM)vram74 Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't. I just unzipped the dev version into its own folder.

Then that is the correct way to use dev builds. And yes. Sharing settings is normal. I personally recommend putting a blank portable.txt file next to dolphin.exe to force dolphin to create a clean isolated user directory, as that tends to sort out a lot of issues
(08-02-2017, 04:33 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Then that is the correct way to use dev builds. And yes. Sharing settings is normal. I personally recommend putting a blank portable.txt file next to dolphin.exe to force dolphin to create a clean isolated user directory, as that tends to sort out a lot of issues

I'll create the portable file and see if that clears the screen issue up.

Edit: Screen issue and the odd issue with Sand Ocean remain. Just reporting Smile