Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I discovered something for those people with bad computers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Mcpro879

I found a way to run your games faster for those with bad computers, (like mine).
All you have to is set your overclock to 22% so it locks at a frame rate that's enjoyable.
It works mostly for 3D games! Even sonic colors without using the 60fps code!
You may have to set it higher for some parts of games.
Hope this helped!
Actually, it will render graphics SLOWER. You´ll make most games lag like hell with such low emulated speeds (despite having nice audio).
note that many many games will break in mysterious and inexplicable ways while doing this. Some games have programming to drop frames when load gets too high.
(07-24-2017, 10:41 AM)Mcpro879 Wrote: [ -> ]I found a way to run your games faster for those with bad computers, (like mine).
All you have to is set your overclock to 22% so it locks at a frame rate that's enjoyable.
It works mostly for 3D games! Even sonic colors without using the 60fps code!
You may have to set it higher for some parts of games.
Hope this helped!

Not good at all, i tried it and it's annoying. There are heavy frame skips.
And it's terrible in time-dependant games like Mario Kart Wii, slows down timer, karts and the item roulette.
And Slows down movement and events in lots of games, like Paper Mario: TTYD.
So, i prefer to have slowdowns than this.

And these are the least severe problems, there may be crashes or strange bugs in other games.

A practical solution is to play in Auto (Window Size) in windowed mode, and then resize to a small window, can break graphics in some games (Like Ubisoft games) and doesn't work with demanding CPU games. But it's kind of better than doing such thing.

Mcpro879

Most of you guys have good computers, but it clearly states for bad computers. If you turn it up a little, it will work faster for some games. It just makes it slower if you do it with a good computer.
(07-24-2017, 10:16 PM)Mcpro879 Wrote: [ -> ]Most of you guys have good computers, but it clearly states for bad computers. If you turn it up a little, it will work faster for some games. It just makes it slower if you do it with a good computer.

Dolphin is simply not meant for weaker systems. My recommendation? Upgrade your hardware (especially your CPU) since it will save you a lot of frustation and anger. I decided to upgrade my computer a few years ago and that did wonders for Dolphin. Perfect timing too since Dolphin was taking huge improvements with HLE audio, JIT and real Integer support. That causes D3D9 and 32-bit to be axed, but for real, any system still relying on D3D9 or 32-bit because of hardware limitation was simply not meant for Dolphin. But back in the day I just used Dolphin for experimentation. Ya know, knowing what Dolphin could be capable of and testing stuff. My actual Wii did a better job at playing my game library back then. But now? I prefer Dolphin above my own Wii.

These days Dolphin can achieve near-perfect emulation for many games. The requirements for emulating has been increased but it is worth it all. Even then, Dolphin 5.0 was just plain awesome being even faster than ever. Just save yourself all the headaches and upgrade your system. You are better off using your actual GameCube or Wii if you intend keep emulating your game library through Dolphin. Yeah, you miss out 1080p support, HD-texture packs, easy support for nifty codes and more. But your actual GameCube or Wii should play all your games without any issues, since it was designed to do so by Nintendo itself. Prefering emulation above the actual console is only worth it with the proper hardware to do so.

Ohh, and your profile seems to be wrong? 446 GB of RAM? That can not be right.

Honestly if you asked me, Dolphin should remove the ability to set the CPU Clock Override below 100% since it breaks stuff without any improvements for games (except for weaker CPU's being able to keep up, but that won't help much when running demanding games). I have seen threads before recommending to lower the CPU Clock Override which is a source of headaches. Setting the CPU Clock Override above 100% is an entirely different matter. While it might still break the game it is no longer done for the reason of improved performance (the contrary in fact). But if an user really knows what he is doing certain games can have a lot of improvements to them. Take Ocarina of Time for example where a CPU Clock Override around 150% to 200% is a must-have for 30 FPS (the game runs at 20 FPS normally for NTSC-U and NTSC-J) and extended draw distance. But then again, if all users are more aware of the effects and limitations of the CPU Clock Override then there is no need to limit that feature.

If ya really need improved performance try to lower the internal resolution to 1x, check the different backends, disable enhancements such as Anti-Aliasing and see if certain options can be disabled or changed for improved performance. Dolphin should automatically enable (read override) the settings a game might require when booting. Best not to revert them back, these overrides were done for a reason (improved compatibility).
I disagree that underclocking should be removed. We won't see phones that can handle everything Dolphin can throw at them for at least the next decade, so underclocking is essential for Android users.
I don't think Dolphin is meant to be used on a Android phone to play GameCube and Wii games for the foreseeable future as you might hope it should. Perhaps lightweight games or for experimentation. Perhaps in 10 years time from now. Still, underclocking can cause a lot of issues. So the question is what you rather have: a lot of issues but decent FPS or perfect-compatibility with lower speeds. I know what I want. Higher FPS can always be gained by upgrading your hardware. Faster and better hardware is being released with each year. Issues are only resolved through improving upon Dolphin itself.

There is no need for removing underclocking as far as I care. The reason lies more with fewer people complaining about why Dolphin is having issues. Each time someone states that underclocking improves your experience I just slam my forehead into my wall.
Users find valid uses for the underclocking feature. I dislike exposing that feature in UI a *lot*, especially because it has made troubleshooting a nightmare. However, removing it at this point would not be very good.

We're stuck with it.

I might be okay with making the UI for it not persistent though. Wink
Overclocking feature can be useful if you don't reduce too much, 22% of clock is crazzy, depending on the game you'll have a bad experience, for games that use the max of console CPU, theorically half clock should give about half FPS, so 20% of clock should give 20% of FPS,which is crazzy, 20% of 30 FPS is 6 FPS.

This feature also helps me when I have low framerate in some games I tested here, to get full speed I must overclock the CPU to 150%, I don't know why, it's not a hardware problem as when I overclock the internal CPU (that should makes the emulator heavier to my system) makes the game run better.
Pages: 1 2