Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Zotac zBoxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I am interested in starting a project. It is going to be a handheld dolphin emulator with a built in gc adapter and possibly a wii remote sensor. All I need to start it is something to run it on. I found the Zotac Zbox series, and fiddled around with my computer for a few hours. I couldn't figure which ones would work since I am not super pc-spec-educated. So basically, I would like to know what the smallest yet most capable zbox is to run dolphin emulator and store legally ripped owned games, or what alternatives I could use. Thanks to all in advance!
Some basic recomendations if you are determined to go this route.

Try to get a desktop low power chip instead of a mobile (laptop low power chip) since there is a large performance difference. Since I have not seen a Ryzen based mini PC stick to intel.

The more recent integrated graphics on intel CPUs can run dolphin (hd 500/600 series), but a dedicated graphics card is always better especially if you want to enhance your games (higher internal resolution, AA, AF, hd graphic packs, ect.)

Lastly keep in mind you will be spending 2-4x more money to get a mini pc with less power then a desktop with similarly named parts due to the economics and thermals of small design. Laptops generally also have a better price to performance ratio as well due to being a less specialized category.
(07-24-2017, 03:20 AM)TKSilver Wrote: [ -> ]Some basic recomendations if you are determined to go this route.

Try to get a desktop low power chip instead of a mobile (laptop low power chip) since there is a large performance difference.  Since I have not seen a Ryzen based mini PC stick to intel.

The more recent integrated graphics on intel CPUs can run dolphin (hd 500/600 series), but a dedicated graphics card is always better especially if you want to enhance your games (higher internal resolution, AA, AF, hd graphic packs, ect.)

Lastly keep in mind you will be spending 2-4x more money to get a mini pc with less power then a desktop with similarly named parts due to the economics and thermals of small design.  Laptops generally also have a better price to performance ratio as well due to being a less specialized category.

Can you point me in the right direction with some specific suggestions? Price is also a huge thing in this project, so keep that in mind.
You have far too many constraints to make this work

1. price

2. size

3. performance

Pick two.
Zotac only

E series - stay away from the 4th and 5th gen ones (4xxx, 5xxx processors) and performance should be ok for a reasonable number of games (really demanding games might still cause issues). Keep in mind you can make a faster computer for half the price of any of these.

M series - I would stick with the T series processors (xxxxT) over the U series processors (xxxxU) and realize you are paying the arround same amount (after adding storage and ram and os) as a dell 15 7000 for less performance. But you do get a slightly smaller over all size.....

P series - intel atom based, completely pointless for emulation even low demand games will have less then physical hardware performance

B series - low end celeron (low end laptop processor), again pointles for emulation since even low demand games will have less then physical hardware performance

C series - fanless so even the semi ok processors will have issues due to thermal issues and lowered performance to hit thermal goals

R series - made for a different application
(07-24-2017, 09:29 AM)TKSilver Wrote: [ -> ]Zotac only

E series - stay away from the 4th and 5th gen ones (4xxx, 5xxx processors) and performance should be ok for a reasonable number of games (really demanding games might still cause issues).  Keep in mind you can make a faster computer for half the price of any of these.

M series - I would stick with the T series processors (xxxxT) over the U series processors (xxxxU) and realize you are paying the arround same amount (after adding storage and ram and os) as a dell 15 7000 for less performance.  But you do get a slightly smaller over all size.....

P series - intel atom based, completely pointless for emulation even low demand games will have less then physical hardware performance

B series - low end celeron (low end laptop processor), again pointles for emulation since even low demand games will have less then physical hardware performance

C series - fanless so even the semi ok processors will have issues due to thermal issues and lowered performance to hit thermal goals

Thank you so much for you time and your help! That will be all!
(07-24-2017, 09:29 AM)TKSilver Wrote: [ -> ]Zotac only

E series - stay away from the 4th and 5th gen ones (4xxx, 5xxx processors) and performance should be ok for a reasonable number of games (really demanding games might still cause issues).  Keep in mind you can make a faster computer for half the price of any of these.

M series - I would stick with the T series processors (xxxxT) over the U series processors (xxxxU) and realize you are paying the arround same amount (after adding storage and ram and os) as a dell 15 7000 for less performance.  But you do get a slightly smaller over all size.....

According to this, most of those statements are wrong:
https://www.howtogeek.com/223020/what-ar...-suffixes/ 
The E/M/P/B/C/R are all zotac series line desiginations not Intel's.

The T and U are correct T is ultra low power (desktop) and U is ultra low power (mobile).

To be fair T has ment low power and ultra low power depending on the architecture and U has been everything from a low power designation to it's own line designation (which are all variations on lower TDP). Currently for 6th/7th gen i5 U designated mobile chips are dual cores with hyper-threading and i5 T designated desktop chips are lower power chips with lowered base and boost clocks and lowered clocks on the iGPU.
Why not just get a Wii motherboard and use that to power your handheld. Then you don't need to deal with any of these issues........
The Zotac Zbox EN1060 is basically your only option if you want to run games above 1080p well, with the space you want to cram every thing into but you will be battling thermals. Its not even close to cheap as this is a bare bones kit, you still need storage and ram compounded with the fact its already 1000 bucks. As KHg8m3 stated it would almost be easier to cram a wii mobo into a custom case and would cost you 1/10 of the price of cramming a pc into a handheld from factor.