Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Emulating on the go
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I realize a lot of people use there phones for a fix but i have a different idea, specially if i wanna play some 2 player with some one, something cheap and affordable, prob 13-13.5 inch screen, laptop that can run dolphin, i wanna be able to emulate everything from nes to wii ps1, ps2, and psp, gameboy to DS, and i strictly want to use this laptop as a portable solution for emulation and nothing more. i've searched and searched, but found nothing, i know a core i5m cpu would prob be the best with about 4-8gb of ram, but question is what kinda mobile graphics am i looking for?, or does some one have a laptop they can just flat out recommend., like i said i just want it to be primary portable emulation laptop, i may use netflix or youtube and FB on it once and awhile
For laptop Processors if you want to play PS2 games you need something on this list https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
above 1600 for moderate games and less demanding games
and above 2000 if you want to be able to play some of the demanding games

Also you need to make sure what ever you buy has sufficient cooling to allow the processor to run at full speed (and even boost) without thermal throttling. Mobile graphics are the least of your issues (but not to be forgotten) when it comes to emulation on a mobile device.

As for graphics just keep in mind that the older the graphics architecture the larger the performance loss from the desktop version to the mobile version, but with a 13.5 inch screen and cheap being in the wish list you will be lucky if you get anything better then integrated anyways since ultrabook size and discreet graphics cost lots of money.

Also get whatever amount of ram you want.... really most emulators don't use that much.
I know i run all my emulators that give me the opens on my main PC, in OpenGL mode which i know nvidia is good at doing , i realize emulators are more cpu based, but if i run in openGL mode couldn't it take advantage of if i got something with a gtx 760m?
I run Dolphin fine on a GT 755m at 1080p, so probably.

You just really need to pay attention to that CPU.