Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How do I get models out of the game?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to take all of the models out of Monster Hunter Tri and do some work with them in Blender, generally speaking, I'll be upping the polycount on pretty much all the armors and some of the character models. I also want to edit some of the heads to be less ugly.

Textures can be dumped by Dolphin, but I don't know what utilities to use to get models into Blender.

Can anyone point me to some utilities?
That's hard, like, REALLY hard. There isn't a way for Dolphin to dump the models, so you'll have to use something that hooks into OpenGL or D3D and extracts the models as they are sent to the GPU for rendering. Not only is that hard, but it's a bit glitchy and needs cleaning. :/
(07-16-2017, 05:17 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]That's hard, like, REALLY hard. There isn't a way for Dolphin to dump the models, so you'll have to use something that hooks into OpenGL or D3D and extracts the models as they are sent to the GPU for rendering. Not only is that hard, but it's a bit glitchy and needs cleaning. :/

Then how did people make the Krystal mod for SSBB and other mods like that?

I know Dolphin can dump the contents of an ISO (ripped my Tri disc ages ago, now it doesn't even work on my Wii), is there any way to decrypt any of those and repack them back to the ISO?

Also, this
https://www.models-resource.com/wii/monsterhuntertri/
Quote:Then how did people make the Krystal mod for SSBB and other mods like that?

The methods I described, and a lot of determination!
(07-16-2017, 05:45 PM)EagerStallion Wrote: [ -> ]I know Dolphin can dump the contents of an ISO (ripped my Tri disc ages ago, now it doesn't even work on my Wii), is there any way to decrypt any of those and repack them back to the ISO?

Yes. Chances are that nobody here is familiar with the model format that the game uses, though. If you want a program that you can use for repacking, try wit.

(07-16-2017, 06:07 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]The methods I described, and a lot of determination!

I thought they were able to read model files from the disc? Getting the models back into the game would be pretty hard without knowing the model format.
(07-16-2017, 07:14 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Yes. Chances are that nobody here is familiar with the model format that the game uses, though. If you want a program that you can use for repacking, try wit.

I thought they were able to read model files from the disc? Getting the models back into the game would be pretty hard without knowing the model format.

TPL, BIN, RSO, BRRES, ESP, DAT, are the most common file extensions.

There's a folder called "08" with "M" and "F" folders respectively. I think these contain armor models for each gender. These have BRRES files in them.

However, there is another folder called "Skin" that has files named "F_Face000.TPL". So I think that TPLs are either models or textures.

Does anyone have any clue what tools Nintendo uses, or is that a closely guarded secret?
Developers are free to store models in the formats of their choosing. Unless somebody has already created homebrew tools for manipulating the model format in this game, then you're SOL without finding somebody who is interested in reverse engineering the format from scratch.
it uses standard BRRES models. look in directory 04 and 15 for them. use brawlbox to view the models
(07-17-2017, 07:08 AM)gamemasterplc Wrote: [ -> ]it uses standard BRRES models. look in directory 04 and 15 for them. use brawlbox to view the models

So BRRES are models?? THank you, random poster!
We already said that this game uses the standard Nintendo BRRES model format. You can literally get them straight out of the disc. Also, don't recommend Dolphin versions older than 5.0.