Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Building a computer to run Mario Kart multiplayer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am interested in building a computer specifically to emulate games and would like to be able to run Dolphin with local multiplayer at the best speeds. Specifically, I would like to be able to play Mario Kart Wii with 3-4 players at 1080p 60fps, as well as Mario Kart Double Dash and Super Smash Bros Melee. Normally Mario Kart Wii caps the framerate at 30fps for 3-4 players, but I found this post that has a patch to override this cap. I was wondering if a system with an Intel Pentium G4560 3.50 GHz CPU and a GTX 1050 GPU would be powerful enough to play this at full speed. If not, what would be the least expensive hardware that could play this?
(07-08-2017, 07:57 AM)Mrsers67 Wrote: [ -> ]I was wondering if a system with an Intel Pentium G4560 3.50 GHz CPU and a GTX 1050 GPU would be powerful enough to play this at full speed.

Absolutely. The G4560 is a very easy to recommend CPU for people wanting emulation boxes.
(07-08-2017, 08:47 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Absolutely. The G4560 is a very easy to recommend CPU for people wanting emulation boxes.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. So you don't think I'll run into any issues even with a 3-4 player splitscreen at 60fps?
Hmm, the 60 fps hack makes any game twice as hard to run. I know it will handle any game in Dolphin without hacks like that just fine. It handles many games with 60 fps hacks just fine too. But splitscreen? ehhh. I'm positive you'll need to enable the emulated CPU overclock, which spikes Dolphin's CPU requirements, also breaks many games.

Dunno
Would the i3-7350K do better with the emulated CPU overclock due to the higher base frequency and ability to overclock?
Probably.
Well I tried on my current desktop with a i7 4770k and a GTX 760, and I could not get it to play at full speed even with the Dolphin CPU overclocked 400%. So I guess it's not possible right now. It runs perfectly without the 60fps hack, so I guess I'll just have to live with 30fps.
(07-08-2017, 01:25 PM)Mrsers67 Wrote: [ -> ]Well I tried on my current desktop with a i7 4770k and a GTX 760, and I could not get it to play at full speed even with the Dolphin CPU overclocked 400%.

400% is very high. Try setting it to a value that's lower but still is higher than 100%.
the higher you set that overclock, the harder dolphin gets to run
(07-08-2017, 01:25 PM)Mrsers67 Wrote: [ -> ]Well I tried on my current desktop with a i7 4770k and a GTX 760, and I could not get it to play at full speed even with the Dolphin CPU overclocked 400%. So I guess it's not possible right now. It runs perfectly without the 60fps hack, so I guess I'll just have to live with 30fps.

MKWii runs fine with 4 players at 60 fps on a 3.5 GHz i5 with a GTX 1060 (3 GB). No overclocks, real or emulated.

Not saying the 1060 is required. Only that this works for me. Your issue may not be the CPU, but the GPU.
Pages: 1 2