Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wii Guitar Hero Metallica
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Xsef

Hey, I'm trying to play Guitar Hero Metallica as a Wii game. I have a PS2 guitar connected via usb to my pc. It works fine in GH3 where I don't need an emulator, but when I tried GH Metallica, I couldn't play because I think it doesn't detect the guitar and requires me to have a Logitech mic connected to a usb port. Does anyone know how to get around this problem where I can't play because it doesn't detect the guitar so it requires me to have a mic?
GH3 support both Wiimotes and guitar controllers for guitar gameplay, but GH Metallica only supports guitar controllers for gameplay, so I suppose you've mapped your PS2 guitar to an emulated Wiimote with no extension controller. In the configuration window for the emulated Wiimote, set the extension to Guitar, then press the Configure button below the extension dropdown, and configure all the guitar controls there. You should be able to play guitar in every Guitar Hero game after that.

EDIT: Or wait, did you mean that you played the PC version of GH3 instead of emulating the Wii version in Dolphin? Either way, the solution is the same. Set Wiimote 1 to Emulated Wiimote, set its extension controller to Guitar, and map the buttons of the extension controller.
Just keep in mind that this game is based on the GH:WT version of the engine and has random short freezes because of the game trying to connect to WiiConnect24... And according to the latest progression blog this has to do with the Wii menu running in a single thread instead of multiple, causing it to freeze every now and then.
(07-04-2017, 04:12 AM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]Just keep in mind that this game is based on the GH:WT version of the engine and has random short freezes because of the game trying to connect to WiiConnect24... And according to the latest progression blog this has to do with the Wii menu running in a single thread instead of multiple, causing it to freeze every now and then.

Well, kind of. IOS is not the same thing as the Wii Menu.
(07-04-2017, 04:34 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Well, kind of. IOS is not the same thing as the Wii Menu.

True, but I thought to make it easier. Smile

Is there any clue as of when the WiiConnect24 parts of IOS will be made to run in a separate thread? (A)
If I could do it myself I would, but sadly enough I'm just a "lowly" systems administrator instead of the awesome dev's that you guys are. I can do some basic scripting and some basic source-code reading and sort of understand what is going on, but actual programming... not so much...
Making things easier to understand is good, but it becomes harmful when the information becomes entirely wrong. IOS runs pretty much at all times, whereas the System Menu is just a normal NAND title that stops running when something else is launched (game or channel).

No ETA. It's complex to implement, because IOS is an actual operating system which uses tons of threads internally, which means most operations never block. And if they do, other parts keep running. So it's not a simple matter of moving the entire HLE of IOS to a separate thread. IOS uses so many threads that they cannot reasonably be mapped directly to host threads. Additionally, any implementation needs to be designed with determinism in mind. (Keeping determinism when threading is already tricky enough, and having more threads makes that even worse.)