Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Getting a PC to run GC/Wii discs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Q2053

Is it possible for Dolphin to emulate through running a disc, like PS1/PS2 emulators do through Run CDROM, if you have the correct DVD drivers that can read the mini-DVD or Wii discs? I know the GC and Wii discs are encrypted so normally they cannot be read but is it possible to do somehow?
Only if you have very specific DVD drives on a specific firmware version. You likely don't.

see the list here

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ho...wii-needed

Q2053

(07-01-2017, 07:13 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Only if you have very specific DVD drives on a specific firmware version. You likely don't.

see the list here

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ho...wii-needed

So you're saying if I get one of those drivers, I can just insert the disc into my PC and run it on Dolphin without having to burn it and/or turn it into a rom file?
What you can do if you have one of those drives is dump games using your PC. You can't run genuine GC/Wii discs directly in Dolphin regardless of what kind of drive you have.

Q2053

(07-01-2017, 07:19 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]What you can do if you have one of those drives is dump games using your PC. You can't run genuine GC/Wii discs directly in Dolphin regardless of what kind of drive you have.

All right, thanks. Do you think it will ever be possible in the future?
I don't think Dolphin ever is going to work well with one of those drives - the method used for reading GC/Wii discs on them is just too slow. So I guess you'll have to bet on someone in the far future making a drive that works better for this...

Q2053

(07-01-2017, 07:41 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think Dolphin ever is going to work well with one of those drives - the method used for reading GC/Wii discs on them is just too slow. So I guess you'll have to bet on someone in the far future making a drive that works better for this...

That makes sense. Do you know why the drives that can read the GC/Wii discs are able to do so compared to other drives?
(07-01-2017, 07:56 AM)Q2053 Wrote: [ -> ]That makes sense. Do you know why the drives that can read the GC/Wii discs are able to do so compared to other drives?

Because there's a known firmware exploit for them that lets the PC access disc data it normally doesn't get any access to.