Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What should i get to play games at 720/900p?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Currently, i have a computer with a Celeron G1610 with Intel HD Graphics (No number, but something equivalent to 4000).

I want to play lightweight (NSMBWII, Kirby RTD, ACCF, SPM) at 900p and middleweight games (MKWII, SMG2) at 720p. I am used to framedrops so it doesn't matter if the game gets slow by a few seconds.

I examinted the Task manager and i saw that CPU usage is around 50% with native resolution so i think the problem is the graphics adapter.

Which graphics adapter will you recommend me? Is it ok an NVIDIA Geforce 210 i got stored, or should i get a better graphics card?
a GT 210 won't cut it, and might actually be slower than your intel GPU. Also, Dolphin uses two hard working threads, so not using your entire CPU is normal.

I would aim at something a a little bit over an Intel HD 4600 for the GPU if you want to increase internal resolution.

Your games might still be slow after that. Your CPU has a pretty low clock speed, as well as being 4 years old. People have run Dolphin just fine on older CPUs, but they had a way higher clock speed.
The G1610 might be alright for light/medium games, but MKWii and (especially) SMG are harder games to emulate than you're assuming.

If you want recommendations for a better GPU, the GT 1030 would be a good candidate. Inexpensive at $70 and low power draw, but should have more than enough performance for those games at 720p or 900p (as long as the CPU keeps up). For $20-30 more, the GTX 1050 is a better card, but overkill for your stated goal.
(06-29-2017, 04:14 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]a GT 210 won't cut it, and might actually be slower than your intel GPU. Also, Dolphin uses two hard working threads, so not using your entire CPU is normal.

I would aim at something a a little bit over an Intel HD 4600 for the GPU if you want to increase internal resolution.

Your games might still be slow after that. Your CPU has a pretty low clock speed, as well as being 4 years old. People have run Dolphin just fine on older CPUs, but they had a way higher clock speed.

Not only that, the Celeron line is the second weakest Intel has (the first being the Atom).