Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Optimal Dolphin settings for this PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

CH0PPER

Hello guys, i am new here and i got some questions about dolphin settings;

my system is;

intel i7 4720 hq    cpu
nvidia gtx 950m   gpu
8 gb (2 x 4gb)      ram

When i play super mario galaxy 1 with this system, it looks like i am playing on wii. I don't much understand about settings so i didn't change anything and i want to learn, what is the optimal settings for my system. If you guys tell me which settings I should use one by one, I'd be very happy (should i use opengl or direct3d 11-12, or Internal Resolution, Anisotropic Filtering, and Anti-Aliasing settings etc.). (Also can you tell me if there must another settings for dolphin like in nvdia control pannel etc.)

And lastly, i want to play games with wiimote motions. Should i buy a dolphin bar or any third party sensor bar will work?

Thanks in advance, cheers Smile
You're on nvidia, so use OpenGL, that's default.

You can probably bump internal resolution up to 3x without issue. Anisotropic filtering can be set to 8 or 16x. Keep the rest of the settings at default.

A Dolphinbar will work pretty well if you're on Windows or Linux. If you want to use Bluetooth Passthrough (required if you want cheap 3rd party wiimotes to work) then the dolphinbar will not work and you'll need a USB sensor bar and a USB bluetooth adapter. If you don't care about that, don't worry about it and get a dolphinbar.

CH0PPER

(06-29-2017, 03:36 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]You're on nvidia, so use OpenGL, that's default.

You can probably bump internal resolution up to 3x without issue. Anisotropic filtering can be set to 8 or 16x. Keep the rest of the settings at default.

A Dolphinbar will work pretty well if you're on Windows or Linux. If you want to use Bluetooth Passthrough (required if you want cheap 3rd party wiimotes to work) then the dolphinbar will not work and you'll need a USB sensor bar and a USB bluetooth adapter. If you don't care about that, don't worry about it and get a dolphinbar.

Thank you for your help. But i have just one more question. I have original wii remote plus controller and i have bluetooth in my laptop. Do i still need usb bluetooth adapter for third party sensor. I asked this question because it is almost impossible to find dolphinbar in my country(Turkey) . And order from amazon or ebay can be painful. Thanks for your help again  Smile). Have good day. 
What do you mean by "third party sensor"? Sensor bar? You'll need one for the IR pointer functionality. FYI, a sensor bar doesn't actually sense anything; it just emits IR light that allows the Wii remote to know its position.

CH0PPER

(06-29-2017, 04:22 AM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]What do you mean by "third party sensor"? Sensor bar? You'll need one for the IR pointer functionality. FYI, a sensor bar doesn't actually sense anything; it just emits IR light that allows the Wii remote to know its position.

Oh, i didn't know that. Thanks a lot.
If you're going to be playing any games that requires the wiimote to point at the screen for aiming or something, you will need a "sensor" bar.

If you can't get a dolphinbar, that's no problem. Your laptop's bluetooth will probably work okay.
You could make a poor man's sensor bar. Light two candles and place them on each side of the screen.