Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Paper Mario thousand year door crashing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My game is crashing at this save file when you enter room 06 and hide by pushing X, after you talk to the toad who appears a dialog sequence happens and it crashes.

I tried it on 5.0 and 5.0-4487
Are you using the game´s recommended settings?
The recommended settings for Paper Mario TTYD affect mostly graphical​ stuff (bounding box + not using EFB to Textures Only), nothing that should cause a crash if you're using something else.

Only thing I can think of is to try disabling dual-core mode to see if that helps.
(06-27-2017, 05:51 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]The recommended settings for Paper Mario TTYD affect mostly graphical stuff (bounding box + not using EFB to Textures Only), nothing that should cause a crash if you're using something else.

Only thing I can think of is to try disabling dual-core mode to see if that helps.

Did try with dual core on off, default settings, and wiki settings. As well as opengl/vulkan and various others. Really just looking for someone to confirm crash I guess.
Hmm... What about the game itself? Make sure your dump is not corrupt.

Normally, older builds aren´t recommended, but if you try a build older than 5.0 stable does the issue still happens?
Can someone please verify whether this crash occurs on their system?

My md5 is fine btw
I was not able to crash. Can you add a portable.txt where your dolphin.exe is? This will read settings/saves from a user folder in the same location instead of the folder in your documents.
(07-02-2017, 02:42 AM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]I was not able to crash. Can you add a portable.txt where your dolphin.exe is? This will read settings/saves from a user folder in the same location instead of the folder in your documents.

Thanks for this.  I was able to isolate (at least partially) the settings that caused it.

It's weird as hell because it is 2.5x native IR that causes it.  2x and 3x work fine.  Can you try to get the crash at 2.5x IR?  Just to be clear, the crash should happen after entering room 005, read note on floor, press x to hide.  Catch the jumping toad.  Goes to a dialog between some characters, then a bell rings and says approaching next station and there is a mario silhouette fade-to-black.  When the next scene loads (train pulling in) is when it crashes.
Ah, it's fractional IRs being bad again... They've been known sources for crashes and even save file corruptions in this game. The good thing is that the solution is simple: Only use integer IRs. There's nothing else you can be do about this problem as far as I know.
(07-03-2017, 03:31 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, it's fractional IRs being bad again... They've been known sources for crashes and even save file corruptions in this game. The good thing is that the solution is simple: Only use integer IRs. There's nothing else you can be do about this problem as far as I know.

Ah that makes sense why my bisects were very confusing.  I was able to trace it down to several builds where it breaks but they are all over, all the way back to 4.0-9281 caused the crash, then a relapse at 5.0-750.  This crash is 100% reproduceable for me on the non-working builds, but throughout the release history it is sporadic.  It also seems to be a combination of settings (including the fractional IR) that instigate this crash, which would be horrid to try and figure out.

So I don't necessarily think nothing could be done, but it would be a nightmare to do so.  

Maybe 2.5x IR isn't really a necessary preset though?  Ever considered removing it?  It was literally the last thing I tried when I was troubleshooting and if it causes issues it should at least have a note.  

I only used it because my screen is greater than the note on 2x (for 720p) and less than 3x (1080p).  I would be fine with either but I chose 2.5x since i'm at 768.
Pages: 1 2