Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will these specs run Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ednice

I gotta buy a laptop quick but I want one that will be able to run Dolphin and PCSX2 games decently, I found myself interested in an Asus ROG 15.6'' GL552VW

These are the specs:

Processor- Intel Skylake Core i7-6700HQ CPU, quad-core 2.6 GHz (3.5 GHz TBoost)

Video Card- Intel® HD Graphics 530 + NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX960M 4GB GDDR5

Ram-8GB (1x8GB) DDR4 2133 MHz

I don't know if this is enough, sorry I'm not good with computers
Will this run games alright
Your laptop will run Dolphin perfectly fine as long as you make sure your CPU doesn't throttle and set an nvidia control panel profile to ensure Dolphin uses the nvidia GPU.

ednice

(06-26-2017, 01:13 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Your laptop will run Dolphin perfectly fine as long as you make sure your CPU doesn't throttle and set an nvidia control panel profile to ensure Dolphin uses the nvidia GPU.

Thank you for responding
May I just ask what throttling a CPU is and if setting up that Nvidia control panel is easy to do?
Throttling means that the laptop doesn't keep itself cool enough, forcing the CPU to slow down to avoid damage. Read reviews for your laptop and see if it's mentioned as an issue.
I looked up some reviews, you should be fine with that computer

ednice

(06-27-2017, 02:23 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]I looked up some reviews, you should be fine with that computer

Thanks a lot, this helps ease up some of my anxiousness
These are the specs on my laptop and dolphin runs perfectly on even demanding games:

Processor- Intel Skylake Core i5-6300hq

Video Card- Intel® HD Graphics 530 + NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX960M 4GB GDDR5

Ram-16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2133 MHz

Mines an Asus and temps were high in the 82 degrees after an hour of gaming, almost throttling, so i added this and reduced more than 15 degrees:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NACVLWM/ref...U47Y2&th=1

Its more efficient in some laptops than others, in my case very effective ...