Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Console Killer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Building a console killer PC out of an older Optiplex 780 SFF.

It's about the size of an xbox one.

I got the 1050ti 4GB low profile, and right now it has a C2D E8500, and 8GB of DDR3.

Just waiting on a replacement PSU since the one I got it with was faulty right off the bat.

Is the E8500 good enough to run stuff like Brawl and TP at 1080p? The machine supports Core 2 Quads up to 1333MHz FSB, but I want to avoid spending any more money on a nearly obsolete platform.
Brawl: yes, TP: no
(06-20-2017, 08:12 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Brawl: yes, TP: no

I can run Twilight Princess at 4K on my GTX 1050ti FTW, hell I could run it at 4K on my GTX 460 SE.

So unless I slap a quad core in, the CPU will bottleneck it, right?
number of cores don't matter for Dolphin after two cores.

single core performance does. And that is an old chip
You already gave yourself the answer: it's an obselete platform.
Dolphin needs a modern chip to really run well, and simply adding more cores or even bumping up the frequency a bit will not help much. Get a new mobo and cpu, preferably Intel Haswell or newer.
Eh, at best I'd be spending $150 on a complete system with an i5 2400.

I have a Sandy Bridge CPU that kicks the shit out of Haswell chips.
(06-20-2017, 09:38 AM)EagerStallion Wrote: [ -> ]Eh, at best I'd be spending $150 on a complete system with an i5 2400.

I have a Sandy Bridge CPU that kicks the shit out of Haswell chips.

This official Dolphin benchmark doesn´t say so: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0

I wouldn´t call a 12th place "kicking the shit out", personally...
And that's with an almost 1 ghz overclock over a *stock* haswell. Holy shit that power consumption

lmfao
If that is the Dolphin 4.0 Povray bench then I just tested my stock 4690k and got basically the same score as the 4670k kinda saw that coming since it runs at basically the same clock speed and the Haswell refresh was more designed towards better overclocking and thermals.

To be fair though a system based on a i5 2400 or i5 2500k would be a solid base to make a emulation pc from and really be found darn near as cheep as some good C2D or C2Q systems. Just be careful with prebuilt systems since the power system (power supply and power delivery system on the motherboard) and the motherboard are generally of very low quality. Also if you can make a new system based off of a G4560 that would be even better still.
(06-20-2017, 10:23 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]This official Dolphin benchmark doesn´t say so: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0

I wouldn´t call a 12th place "kicking the shit out", personally...

Wasn't talking about the i5. My CPU is an Intel Xeon E3 1240. I haven't bought anything else yet, so I think you're confused.

How do I run the benchmark and where do I post it?
Pages: 1 2