Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Need some advice before I go drop $
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Lvl7gaming

Okay so im new here but not new to emulation. Will the HP Elitebook 2560W, i7 2620qm, 16gb RAM, 512gb SSD, nvidia Quadro 2000m graphics get the job done?

Ill be doing mostly GC games. Titles include luigis mansion, sonic adventure/adventure 2 battle, super Mario sunshine and star fox adventures. Also super smash bros brawl.

Wanting it to be close to full speed as possible. I know the HP pavilion 17 from Walmart did the trick with the amd10 but if need be ill get the amd12 from bestbuy. Just need advice here before I go blowing $ I don't really have available to spend on a laptop. Desktop is also out of the equasion.

I'm going to be getting this only for emulation purposes. Will it work?
1,565 2620m single threaded performance
1,211 A10 8700p (probably the one in the 17" Walmart hp pavilion)
1,922-1,380 A12?

So currently your laptop is a better fit then the a10 and is a better fit then some of the a12 processors (not sure which one you are looking at). So purely from a processor standpoint you would not gain much or even lose some performance if you got a new laptop.

Keep in mind that for laptops in particular that the raw performance can also not end up in real world enjoyment due to laptops possibly having more overheating issues (with accompanying throttling), power management issues (with a loss of max performance if the power management gets in the way and you can't turn it off), and other sundry issues that might pop up due to the different form factor. Though these can effect almost any laptop, some are just better at handling it then others.

So just try it on your current set up and see if you get the performance you desire. That is the best thing to try first.