Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Building PC which cpu is the best
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

sebbydaman

my gpu is a 1070 so I think I wont be lacking in that department but my main concern is the cpu.Im running a micro itx build so I can use a cpu with a high tdp. I want to go with the ryzen 1600 since it runs cooler but saw a benchmark which made it bad but my other choice is the i5-7500 ???? which is better

ryzen 5 1600
I 5 - 7500
If you only need it for Dolphin, you could save a lot of money going with the Pentium G4560. If you want something more powerful for a wider variety of tasks, I just built a PC with an i5-7600, and it works very well for Dolphin and everything else I've done so far.
For emulation single threaded performance reigns king

This is from passmark's single threaded benchmark for CPUs

Ryzen 1600 - 1860
I5 7500 - 2074
g4560 - 1982

In my mini itx build (my emulation build) I am using a i5 4690k and it is running at 65c max on air (to be fair I am not overclocking it). The point is if you have proper cooling and air flow with your case you should not have an issue.

sebbydaman

(06-07-2017, 12:42 PM)TKSilver Wrote: [ -> ]For emulation single threaded performance reigns king

This is from passmark's single threaded benchmark for CPUs

Ryzen 1600 - 1860
I5 7500 - 2074
g4560 - 1982

In my mini itx build (my emulation build) I am using a i5 4690k and it is running at 65c max on air (to be fair I am not overclocking it).  The point is if you have proper cooling and air flow with your case you should not have an issue.

what case do you have
http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mini-it...-advanced/

Got it for $10 used on Craig's list, not sure if they still make it/sell it.
I wasn't aware that the Ryzen 1600 performs as well as it does for single thread; previous AMD CPUs (before Ryzen) were way behind.

Over 1800 single thread score on passmark should be fine for Dolphin. Emulating Wii games isn't someday going to get more difficult -- nobody is making new ones anymore. So if you want the hex-core CPU for tasks that might benefit from multiple cores, Ryzen 1600 might be the right choice for you.
There are no readily available AM4-Ryzen compatible Mini-ITX boards yet. Sad