Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Worth upgrading from Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 to E8400 ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (Default Clock - 2.13Ghz) and i am considering buying Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (Default Clock - 3.0GHz).

Is it worth it?
Will there be much improvement in Dolphin x64?
the improvement u will get will be like night and day, definitely go for it
(11-05-2009, 01:12 AM)krypking Wrote: [ -> ]the improvement u will get will be like night and day, definitely go for it
Thanks for info, I will definitely buy it Smile

sleevefreezer

Hey Instar,
Myself Sleeve from Uk.Thanks for asking here question about intel core upgrading because from that i also gets answer here.I am also planning for upgrading my system.i think it would be nice for us.Good posting keep it up new questn.

Thanks.
Why not save yourself the ~$160 and overclock the E6400 to 3GHz+? Or do you not have a motherboard that's capable of overclocking?

The improvement would be significant, but I don't think you could call it "night and day". If you're talking about an E8400 OC'ed to 4GHz compared to a stock E6400 on the other hand, then that would be a different story.

Anyways, assuming your motherboard can overclock, I recommend buying a $30 aftermarket CPU cooler and push your E6400 to at least 3GHz. You may even be able to get to 3.4GHz+ if you're lucky and have good cooling.
Take it from me....YES!!!!!Cool
(11-06-2009, 08:01 PM)w4ffles Wrote: [ -> ]Why not save yourself the ~$160 and overclock the E6400 to 3GHz+? Or do you not have a motherboard that's capable of overclocking?

The improvement would be significant, but I don't think you could call it "night and day". If you're talking about an E8400 OC'ed to 4GHz compared to a stock E6400 on the other hand, then that would be a different story.

Anyways, assuming your motherboard can overclock, I recommend buying a $30 aftermarket CPU cooler and push your E6400 to at least 3GHz. You may even be able to get to 3.4GHz+ if you're lucky and have good cooling.

That's not really comparable, the E8400 uses 45 nm, wheras E6400 uses 65 nm. Thus, the E8400 has other advantages than higher core clock speed, as e.g. bigger caches, and there is DEFINITELY a big difference between running an overclocked 3GHz E6400 and a "normal" 3 GHz E8400.
(11-07-2009, 06:48 PM)NeoBrain Wrote: [ -> ]That's not really comparable, the E8400 uses 45 nm, wheras E6400 uses 65 nm. Thus, the E8400 has other advantages than higher core clock speed, as e.g. bigger caches, and there is DEFINITELY a big difference between running an overclocked 3GHz E6400 and a "normal" 3 GHz E8400.
You can't really use the difference in manufacturing process size as the reason for the differences. Yes, I know Wolfdale is faster clock-for-clock and that there's 6MB of L2 cache on the E8400 as opposed to the 2MB on the E6400. My memory's a bit fuzzy right now, but aren't the clock speeds more significant for Dolphin than cache size? The other marketed difference is the addition of SSE4 and I don't remember reading anything about Dolphin using that instruction set. (I could be wrong though) I wouldn't go so far as to call them incomparable though. A Pentium D vs. an E8400 would be incomparable in my books.

What I meant was, I think he might as well try to overclock if he can. What's he got to lose? That's what I'd do first if I were him. If it's still not fast enough, then yeah, get a new CPU.

If you live near a Micro Center though, you can pick up an E8200 for $99.99 and overclock that. Also, make sure your motherboard supports 45nm CPU's.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produc...id=0312980
My E6400 is overclocked to 2.5 Ghz already, the speed increase from non-clocked 2.13 Ghz is small (3-5 FPS improvement).
I used to have this one overclocked to 3.1Ghz but then it overheated once in a while and some other games like Guild Wars had problems (like lag, glitches and random crashes).

However I haven't bought E8400 yet, because I don't rush buying CPU's.
I asked such question, because I could not decide to either buy the E8400 now or wait a year for next-gen CPU's.
IMO, Core 2 Duo isn't really worth it anymore because the Core i5 750 and AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE 125W are only slightly more expensive. You'd have to be crazy to build a computer JUST to play Dolphin.
Pages: 1 2