Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Backing up Wii store games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have clean rip installed on the machine, and I bought a few N64 games from the wii channel.  How can I get those games off of the Wii, and onto my PC?  Can I do this using clean rip, or do I need some other software?  Thanks
make a nand dump is how you backup your wii store games
Make a backup of your system NAND (BootMii can do this), then with that backup, use a program called ShowMiiWads. ShowMiiWads can extract the channels as WADs, which will play just fine in Dolphin.
I wouldn't recommend using any tool to pack titles as WADs. While ShowMiiWads seems to be okay (from a quick look at the source), packing often messes up the ticket and corrupts the common key index field. This can cause the title not to install or boot, both in Dolphin in recent revisions and on a real Wii.

After making a NAND backup, just use Dolphin's NAND import feature to import everything as is. And I would suggest still keeping the NAND image, because currently some metadata is thrown away during the import process (so Dolphin's NAND is useless in case you ever want to restore the backup).
Huh, didn't know WADs could get messed up like that. I don't use my NAND for anything really, just dumped it to dump VCs and stuff like that, so I just extract the WADs and run those directly. I've never actually tried the Install WAD option or anything like that.