Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: texture packs + advanced video settings?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey! Sorry for all the oncoming questions.

Texture packs are easy to use, but I wonder if I should use texture packs and advanced video settings (anti-aliasing, filtering, etc), or if that is asking too much? Or will the loading of the texture pack just ignore all of the user-defined video settings, anyways?

My video card is pretty new but the rest of my PC is a bit old, I don't know if a texture pack+advanced video settings will be super slow or what.

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
MSI Z77A-G41 LGA Motherboard
EVGA GTX 980ti FTW
Kingston HyperX XMP 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
BFG Tech ES SERIES ES-800 800W Continuous Power Supply
Windows 7 x64

I guess running the emulator and playing would be the best way of testing it! I haven't got things quite set up yet, though, so I wanted to see what was recommended.

Thanks
(06-01-2017, 09:14 PM)ropeadope Wrote: [ -> ]Hey! Sorry for all the oncoming questions.

Texture packs are easy to use, but I wonder if I should use texture packs and advanced video settings (anti-aliasing, filtering, etc), or if that is asking too much? Or will the loading of the texture pack just ignore all of the user-defined video settings, anyways?

My video card is pretty new but the rest of my PC is a bit old, I don't know if a texture pack+advanced video settings will be super slow or what.

MSI Z77A-G41 LGA Motherboard
EVGA GTX 980ti FTW
Kingston HyperX XMP 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
BFG Tech ES SERIES ES-800 800W Continuous Power Supply
Windows 7 x64

I guess running the emulator and playing would be the best way of testing it! I haven't got things quite set up yet, though, so I wanted to see what was recommended.

Thanks

Considering my build (gtx 550 ti lol) I use texture hacks and sometimes 2x SSAA or 4x MSAA Anti Aliasing, Auto (Window Size) res (I have a giant monitor) and texture filtering (on the game I play (Mario Kart Wii) texture filtering is automatically enabled)
(06-01-2017, 09:14 PM)ropeadope Wrote: [ -> ]Texture packs are easy to use, but I wonder if I should use texture packs and advanced video settings (anti-aliasing, filtering, etc), or if that is asking too much? Or will the loading of the texture pack just ignore all of the user-defined video settings, anyways?

Loading texture packs does not override the other settings, and using both will not be asking too much of your hardware.

(06-01-2017, 09:14 PM)ropeadope Wrote: [ -> ]My video card is pretty new but the rest of my PC is a bit old, I don't know if a texture pack+advanced video settings will be super slow or what.

EVGA GTX 980ti FTW
Windows 7 x64

I guess running the emulator and playing would be the best way of testing it!

Yes, running it and trying out the settings you want to use is the best way of testing. But your CPU is fast enough even if you didn't overclock, and you have a high-end video card. It will be possible for you to find combinations of settings that will cause some games to slow down, but it's unlikely you would require those settings for actual gameplay.

You didn't say what resolution your display runs at. If 1080p, you are unlikely to run into problems. Even if you have a 4K display, you should be alright as long as you don't crank every setting up to maximum.

Running Windows 7, you might want to pick up a Mayflash Dolphin Bar. It's the easiest way to get Wii controllers connected to Dolphin in Win 7.
Very cool, thanks for the help. I do have the Mayflash Dolphin bar as a matter of fact!

Yes, will just be running at 1080p or less, maybe 720p. I don't know, my native desktop resolution is 1920x1080.