Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Using the Wii Store
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm completely new to this and I've been looking a different ways to run game emulators on my pc. The easiest way I can think of is to just buy games off of the wii store, and paly them through dolphin without ever ripping a disc. Is it possible to purchase a game in the Wii store, and play it in dolphin emu without ever copying files from my Wii? thanks
(05-29-2017, 01:13 PM)jachin99 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm completely new to this and I've been looking a different ways to run game emulators on my pc.  The easiest way I can think of is to just buy games off of the wii store, and paly them through dolphin without ever ripping a disc.  Is it possible to purchase a game in the Wii store, and play it in dolphin emu without ever copying files from my Wii?  thanks

The Wii is not like the Wii U in that respect. Meaning the big name Wii games were mostly only available on disc. I think you're going to have to learn how to rip them, or find a friend who can rip them for you. I rip all my games on my hacked Wii. This is not as difficult to do as you might think -- the hardest part is finding the steps/process to do it.
(05-29-2017, 01:13 PM)jachin99 Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to purchase a game in the Wii store, and play it in dolphin emu without ever copying files from my Wii?

No. You need to copy system files from your Wii before you can use the Wii Shop Channel in Dolphin.

And besides, most games aren't available in the Wii Shop Channel, like the previous post says.
I'm not really trying to use it for most Wii games. I'm looking more at downloading nes snes and n64 games and then copying those.  Either way, If I still have to copy those games, it defeats the purpose of using the store for most games.  
(05-30-2017, 02:14 AM)jachin99 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not really trying to use it for most Wii games. I'm looking more at downloading nes snes and n64 games and then copying those.  Either way, If I still have to copy those games, it defeats the purpose of using the store for most games.  

Copying system files is a one-time thing - once you've done it once you can use Wii Shop and download all the things.
So now I'm a little confused. Would I be copying the entire store, and then be able to buy games through dolphin; Would I be copying my store credentials, and Dolphin will be able to see all of current, and future purchases?, or am I copying just the games that i have currently downloaded from the store? Thanks
You need to copy the store credentials (and preferably also the store channel, because otherwise I suppose you'll need to download it from NUS or something). Then Dolphin should be able to see all of your current and future purchases, and you should be able to buy and download games.

It's also possible to just copy games from your Wii, but that's something different.
What software do I use to accomplish this? Is it something I can download for the homebrew channel or is it something different entirely
You need BootMii to get your console keystore, which are required for authentication.

The simplest way to get things is probably to make a NAND backup using BootMii. Download the latest version of Dolphin and import your NAND backup into Dolphin (Tools > Import BootMii NAND backup). Dolphin will automatically extract things that are needed for the shop.
I'm not seeing an option to import a nand backup under tools. I'm on dolphin version 5.0. The only import option is for importing Wii saves. Is this what I am looking for
Pages: 1 2