Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Trouble importing .gci in GCMM: switch to unicode?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

momojoe3

Hey there, new to the forum, so let me know if I should be posting elsewhere, or if my question is answered already. Your patience is appreciated!

I am using Dolphin 5.0 to play Zelda Windwaker (USA) ripped from my personal copy of the game.

I am having trouble using the Gamecube Memcard Manager to import a save of the game. In GCMM, I am using an empty memory card file (MemoryCardA.USA.raw) and I am importing a .gci file (WindWaker.gci). When I import the .gci to my memory card, the save shows up with the correct logo for my game, but the Title of the game save is random symbols. Take a look at my .raw to see what I mean. Because of this, the game won't recognize this save and asks to create a new save.

With my limited experience with the Dolphin emulator, I googled the issue and found this was sort of addressed, but couldn't quite understand it:
https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues/1257

It seems "importing any save was broken by switch to unicode", which explains the random characters for the title. I have no idea how to fix it, though.
That's happening because you've put a Japanese save file on an American memory card. The game won't be able to load it, because the Japanese version of the game has a different game ID (and possibly other save file differences). If you have an American version of the game, you need to put an American save file on an American memory card.

The issue report you linked to is about something different.