Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Highend Intel build help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

jjg004

I have read many posts about the best hardware to get for Wii and Wii U emulation. It seems the best processor is the i5-4690K processor. It seems this processor might be an older model since newegg is asking $450 for it now. What is the advisable replacement the i5-7600K? I will be over clocking the cpu somewhat. Also the best video card advised is GTX 970 it seems from posts. I would like a good future proof video card, but I don't want to spend a fortune (like $600 just for a video card). I do want to stick with Nvidia based on suggestions. So I'm looking at:

i5-7600K
16GB ram
MSI George GTX 970 4GD5T

Any advice/comment is greatly appreciated.
The most important thing is single threaded perf. The FAQ isn't updated every time a new chip comes out.

The i5 7600k is better thab the 4690k in pretty much every way by some amount, small or large.

It's fine. Smile
Here's a quick build I tossed together: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Msxj9W
Went with the GTX 1070 because honestly it's not that much more expensive than a new GTX 970.
Stuck a 250 GB SSD in there, cause they make life so much better.
Case is user preference, pick what suits you.
I believe the GTX 1060 is roughly equal to the GTX 970 performance-wise, and the 3 GB version is under $200. I know from personal experience that Dolphin does great with it. I don't know if Cemu would benefit from more GPU memory than 3 GB, but if so the 6 GB GTX 1060 is only about $50 more, still cheaper than a 970. 

Also, for Dolphin the i5-7600 (non-K) at 3.5 GHz never really breaks a sweat. Again, maybe Cemu merits an overclockable CPU, but with Kaby Lake i5 chips, it's unnecessary for Dolphin.