Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Some GameCube saves won't work with Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Sky The Destroyer

Hello,

So a while ago I decided to backup my GameCube saves by using GCMM on my Wii. I transferred the save files to the SD, plugged them into Dolphin, and I tested various games with it. Results?

I tested Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut. Save is all there. Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door? Yup, it's there.

Then I come to Sonic Riders. I have two save files: 1 and 2. For some reason, save file 1 shows up as corrupted. Save file 2 works fine, though. I plop in my Sonic Riders disc into my Wii and tested out the supposedly not working save file 1. It's there and works perfectly fine on my real hardware. Maybe somehow GCMM ripped it wrong the first time? I try to rip the save again, still no dice. I tried both the RAW and GCI formats, and neither makes save file 1 work in Dolphin. But with real hardware it's fine...

Same story with SA2B: I have 11 save files but yet only file 6 will work in Dolphin.

Any idea on why this happens and/or if there's a way to fix this? I'd really appreciate it; especially with the Sonic Riders save.

I've tested this and I see the same exact behavior in Nintendont on my Wii U.

Here's the save files if anyone would like to take a look at them to see if there's some sort of weird thing going on with them:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2gKGc...TZ5Ql9NM2s

Thanks in advance.
Some save files have copy protection... that could be one of the reasons. I've never had an issue importing savefiles so far and I have hundreds of games.

Sky The Destroyer

(05-19-2017, 07:50 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Some save files have copy protection... that could be one of the reasons.  I've never had an issue importing savefiles so far and I have hundreds of games.

Apparently copy protection is not an issue with these games (or in general anymore I think)? https://wiibrew.org/wiki/GCMM#Protected_Savegames

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and Sonic Riders aren't listed there, and since they're (especially the former) rather popular games, I doubt they were missed...and it's odd that only some of my save files don't work.

So I found this page and uploaded one of the GCI save files from Sonic Adventure 2 Battle that won't work in Dolphin for information about it: https://mm.reimuhakurei.net/?page=sa2save

And it shows this on save file #4 (and the rest of them, though different checksum mismatch values):

Checksum mismatch: calculated 0xf507, found 0xf4e3

I tested save file #6 (the only one that works) and it says the checksum is correct.

Any ideas?
In Dolphin, start up the memory card manager, from the Tools menu. Browse to a memory card containing the save file that you want to fix. Right click the save file and select "Fix checksums".
I didn't even nkow about this functionality, damn.

Sky The Destroyer

(05-20-2017, 11:32 AM)skid Wrote: [ -> ]In Dolphin, start up the memory card manager, from the Tools menu.  Browse to a memory card containing the save file that you want to fix.  Right click the save file and select "Fix checksums".

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to do anything.

I spoke with the guy who made that save file info page, and he said that Sonic Adventure 2 Battle's save files have unique checksums that Dolphin doesn't know about; same goes with Sonic Riders. I was able to manually fix my SA2B saves with a hex editor by finding the found checksum in the save file and replacing it with the calculated checksum on that page.

However, he doesn't know about the checksum in Sonic Riders saves, so I think I'm out of luck on fixing my Riders save unless if there was some other way to fix it.