Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin fails to save DTMs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I’m trying to TAS Super Mario Sunshine, but whenever I stop the input recording and select an output file, Dolphin says it failed to save it. Both the *.dtm file and the *.dtm.sav file are created (and they’re not just empty files), but trying to use them leads to an immediate crash (segmentation fault), a complete freeze on an empty warning box, or more rarely an internal LZO error (-4). This happens with the PAL and JP versions of Super Mario Sunshine, as well as the PAL version of Beat the Beat – Rhythm Paradise (that is, every game I can currently play in Dolphin).

If I save a state while recording a movie, Dolphin tries to save a DTM too, and fails as well. Loading that state then results in a crash. However, Dolphin works perfectly fine as long as I don’t try to record input, even dumping frames and audio gives me no problem.

My OS is Debian 9 (stretch) x64 and I run Dolphin 5.0-3727, which I fetched from GitHub and compiled yesterday (with all the dependencies, even the optional ones) after noticing the previous version had the same problem. I deleted all of Dolphin’s config and cache directories just in case, but that doesn’t help. Read-Only mode doesn’t change anything, neither does dual-core.

Thanks in advance for your help
Have you tried compiling with debug symbols and looking at the crash with gdb?
Sorry, I hadn’t seen your reply. I’m not familiar with gdb, but I found out two things: first, if I start the input recording from game start-up, the resulting DTM works fine (which is a decent workaround for my usage, and the reason why I didn’t check this thread). Second, if I start input recording from a savestate and attempt to save the movie (which still fails), then rename the *.dtm.sav, the DTM plays without issues, albeit from game start-up.

I’ll see what I can do with gdb