Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wheezing sound using DPL2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I'm trying to have 5.1 audio with Dolphin, I searched and found some things, but all of them were old (Dolphin 4.0 and older) and I'm not sure what are the best settings for it. I have surround sound using analog cables and they work fine, but in Dolphin there's a "wheezing" sound, it's specially heard in Wind Waker or Mario Sunshine water effect.

I have an Intel i5 4670k processor with integrated HD 4600 graphics and I can run all the Wii and GameCube games I have at 1.5x or 2x resolution, it's not a speed related issue.

I'm using Dolphin 5.0-3538 on Linux and my sound settings are:
LLE recompiler (why I can't use HLE for DPL2 btw?) (yes, I have a dumped RSP rom)
OpenAL backend (tried Pulse but it have the same problem) and I tried higher and lower latency levels without change
Audio stretching is on with 100ms but I had the problem before it was implemented

Is there something I can do?
I don't think HLE audio implemented DPL2 yet, which is why. I can't answer why it's not working, we probably need some more people to test and confirm that it's not working and then open up an issue on the tracker if it is broken.
openal and dp2 are broken since many months. Some games works, others crackling sound is present. Devs said some Work need to be done, not just fixes, but rework some code.

There are some tricks to make it work, but dont remember atm.
Oh, that's sad Sad But actually it works, just don't sound really great and weirdly it just happen in the rear speakers (and maybe subwoofer, but I can't test it). Ishiiruka Dolphin doesn't work for that?
I was thinking, I have a cheap/older surround system with analog cables and a Dolby Pro Logic II option. If I plug my PC in the stereo jack and enable DPL II in games and in my surround system, wouldn't be possible to Dolphin/PC send the 2.0 audio and my speakers do the "surround" job like in a real GameCube?
(05-03-2017, 02:02 PM)pedrofleck Wrote: [ -> ]I was thinking, I have a cheap/older surround system with analog cables and a Dolby Pro Logic II option. If I plug my PC in the stereo jack and enable DPL II in games and in my surround system, wouldn't be possible to Dolphin/PC send the 2.0 audio and my speakers do the "surround" job like in a real GameCube?

This is working correctly, because the DPL2 should still come out of the system, the only thing that the tick does is make your computer decode the DPL2 stream. And as far as I know the tick only works with OpenAL LLE.
The DPL2 decoder is not the best ATM, but soon a new algorithm will be used and the sound quality of the decoder will increase a lot. I can send a Windows x64 binary for those interested, just PM me. For those on Linux just search and compile the pull request.

Pedrofleck: Yes, this works fine. You must still use LLE (maybe only with the official DSP ROM) as surround is not implemented on HLE.
(05-05-2017, 10:23 AM)LAGonauta Wrote: [ -> ]The DPL2 decoder is not the best ATM, but soon a new algorithm will be used and the sound quality of the decoder will increase a lot. I can send a Windows x64 binary for those interested, just PM me. For those on Linux just search and compile the pull request.

Pedrofleck: Yes, this works fine. You must still use LLE (maybe only with the official DSP ROM) as surround is not implemented on HLE.
I'm waiting for it to be merged (how long it will take? I saw that all checks have passed)
I tried and it didn't work (LLE and official DSP ROM)
(05-16-2017, 07:38 AM)pedrofleck Wrote: [ -> ]I'm waiting for it to be merged (how long it will take? I saw that all checks have passed)
I tried and it didn't work (LLE and official DSP ROM)

What did not work? Decoding using your surround system or FreeSurround?

Most surround systems acts just like an amp with audio that comes from analog external inputs (usually labeled EXT IN.)
What kind of connection do you use? My Denon can decode Dolphin's DPL2 from digital in and from analog inputs (VCR and DVD RCA inputs)