Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Something is definitely wrong with Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some people argue that the problems I've been experiencing has to do with my computer, but I ain't buying because yesterday I was playing Def Jam Fight for New York and it was working just fine. But I opened Dolphin today and played Def Jam again. I've been experience some serious lagging issues. And it's not just Def Jam, almost every other game I've been playing with no problems have been experiencing serious issues.
You have a mac. MacBooks partially rely on cooling passively through the aluminum chassis. This leads to inconsistent performance as Apple tends to do some frequency scaling throttling across cores to keep temps reasonably low to keep fans from spinning up too high. For workloads where you don't need consistent performance, this is fine. For Dolphin, it is not.

Also related to MacOS, it's video drivers are pretty buggy, have low GL version compliance, and doesn't have many of the GL extensions Dolphin uses to go fast, so it does a lot of slow workarounds.

Like I said in your other thread, bootcamp Windows to work around the driver issues.
(04-29-2017, 03:56 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]You have a mac. MacBooks partially rely on cooling passively through the aluminum chassis. This leads to inconsistent performance as Apple tends to do some frequency scaling throttling across cores to keep temps reasonably low to keep fans from spinning up too high. For workloads where you don't need consistent performance, this is fine. For Dolphin, it is not.

Also related to MacOS, it's video drivers are pretty buggy, have low GL version compliance, and doesn't have many of the GL extensions Dolphin uses to go fast, so it does a lot of slow workarounds.

Like I said in your other thread, bootcamp Windows to work around the driver issues.

Well that won't be necessary. I plan on getting a Windows computer this Christmas so I don't need to waste my storage space
If you do careful performance monitoring on your laptop, you'll probably find a pattern to when Dolphin is slow or not based on the computers temperatures.
MacOS generally tries to throttle way before temps get too high to really notice.
Getting a cooling pad with active ans on the bottom has helped my roommate keep his computer more stable when gaming.