Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Vulkan FTW
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

It seems that with the most current build of the emulator with the Vulkan backend many small issues were corrected (sprites not rendering properly etc.) It also seems faster. Keep up the great work devs! The only thing that could make this emulator better is the uber shaders, hopefully vulkan will negate the shader cache somehow! Thank you!
Vulkan truly is amazing. There are some serious performance bottleneck areas in a few games on OpenGL that get completely lifted with Vulkan. Sometimes, there are magic bullets.

I do wonder though. Ubershaders are abandoned and I have to ask, now, as a CEMU user, why we can't do what they do and have transferable shaders? I've gone through 3 updates now on CEMU and used the same shader cache the whole time, with no obnoxious stuttering and freezing to compile shaders in real-time. Yet every time I update my dev branch on Dolphin, I'm stuck with a fresh cache and terrible stuttering. I really have to wonder why we can't get similar shader sharing here as well.
People caring.

My answer is blunt, but it's true. Due to the nature of open source, people work on what they care about. In all honesty, nobody that cares to put in effort wants to work on shader problems right now. This isn't anybody's fault either. Just, welcome to open source.

Maybe somebody will find the work interesting in the future.
And, Dolphin is emulating TEV with shaders; the games themselves don't have shaders. Thus, if our emulation of TEV changes (say, we fix a bug,) any shaders would be rendered useless.
(04-25-2017, 03:12 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]People caring.

My answer is blunt, but it's true. Due to the nature of open source, people work on what they care about. In all honesty, nobody that cares to put in effort wants to work on shader problems right now. This isn't anybody's fault either. Just, welcome to open source.

Maybe somebody will find the work interesting in the future.

It should be one of the top priorities IMHO. The shader cache stutter makes any game unplayable for me. I switched to Ishiiruka-Dolphin a few days ago and it has been a revelation. I'll take a minor graphical glitch that lasts a couple frames over visual and audio stuttering any day of the week.
PRs welcome.
inb4 I'm not a coder