Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin closes instantly with no error (x64)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

nool

Hi all,

I have had this issue for a long time with x64 builds of Dolphin (it also happened in 4.0.2, and possibly even before that), however this has only become a major issue for me recently since release of 32bit builds has ceased.

When loading up any release of 5.0, I will see the Dolphin window appear for a split second, but then the program will close immediately with no error message. The only other case of this I have managed to find is in this thread: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-do...ust-closes, but there is unfortunately no solution listed there.
  • My Windows/graphics drivers/etc is/are up-to-date, and I have uninstalled all VC++ redists (both 32 and 64 bit), and have reinstalled only 64bit builds.
  • I have uninstalled and reinstalled Dolphin.
  • I have tried setting Dolphin to portable mode, to rule out the possibility of profile corruption. (Dolphin did check to see if portable.txt existed, and did create the relevant directories, the "crash" occurs after this).
  • I have checked Windows event logs, but unfortunately there is nothing there.
  • I have tried running in various compatibility modes.
  • I have disabled my antivirus and tried the program, this didn't work either.
  • I have checked Dolphin's log file but nothing is there (neither in my global directory, nor in the portable directory).
  • I have tried running Dolphin from command line, no error message is present.
  • I have tried running Dolphin in debug mode. As in the thread linked above, I can see that the window looks different, however the program still closes immediately with no error message.

Hopefully I have remembered to include everything I have tried in the list above, if not, I will update it accordingly.

DolphinQt will load, however games will not load from there (probably due to the fact that DolphinQt is currently unstable). This leads me to believe it must be some sort of dependecy issue/conflict with 64bit builds of standard Dolphin.

Please see my PC specs below, which are also listed in my profile:

Intel i5-3750K @ 3.4GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti
8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Dolphin 5.0 r3404

Other than attempting to build Dolphin myself, I'm all out of ideas. Hopefully someone here can assist and we can get to the bottom of this issue once and for all.

If I have missed any information, please do let me know.

Thanks!

EDIT:
Having had a quick look through the source code, I'm wondering if it could be an issue with VideoBackendBase:: PopulateList(), as it would appear that this is the point at which the program crashes. There is a preprocessor WIN32 check here that seems to contain some renderer dependency checks (of course, I could be wrong!).

-
I would suggest removing all versions of Dolphin & re-installing from the 5.0 stable installer. Also, make sure you remove the Dolphin folder from Documents. The installer will make sure you have everything you need to run Dolphin. If you can get the stable release working, then go ahead and update to a recent GIT build. If it still crashes, try disconnecting extra peripherals, like any game controllers & see if it will work then. Also, of course, make sure your Windows 7 has installed all the updates, and that your graphic drivers are up to date.

nool

Hi, thanks for the reply!

I had already tried re-installing but I tried again just incase, unfortunately it still closes upon opening.

Unplugging my controller before loading didn't work either.
I know this sounds like a silly suggestion, but did you try rebooting the computer? Sometimes that's all that's necessary. The last time I suggested a reboot to someone, it fixed the problem
He said he's had the issue since 4.0.2. I'm sure he's rebooted his computer at least once in that timeframe. I think it would be better for a dev to say something since he's already somewhat pinpointed where the crash happens.

nool

(04-19-2017, 09:40 AM)envisaged0ne Wrote: [ -> ]I know this sounds like a silly suggestion, but did you try rebooting the computer? Sometimes that's all that's necessary. The last time I suggested a reboot to someone, it fixed the problem

Yeah I have, I reboot every time I install/uninstall something. Thanks for the suggestion though!

(04-19-2017, 03:41 PM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]He said he's had the issue since 4.0.2. I'm sure he's rebooted his computer at least once in that timeframe. I think it would be better for a dev to say something since he's already somewhat pinpointed where the crash happens.

Haha yeah I've done one or two since then! I'm not 100% on that being where the crash happens, but after a quick look through it would appear to be at that point.