Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How well will this run Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know that with emulation the over all specs of the computer don't always mean much ie. extra cores and dual video cards are not beneficial so I'm wondering how well these specs will run dolphin. 

[color=#333333]3.7GHz Xeon quad-core with 10MB of L3 cache [/color]

[color=#333333]12GB (3x4GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC [/color]
[color=#333333]256GB PCIe-based flash storage [/color]
[color=#333333]Dual AMD FirePro D300 GPUs with 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM each[/color]

[color=#333333]This is the base model for the 2013 Mac Pro that I'm picking up this week from a friend. Right now I have a maxed out 5k iMac and it runs anything I've tried in Dolphin perfectly and with great resolutions. I'm hoping for similar results with the Mac Pro (ill upgrade the ram if needed). Any info you can give would be great! Is anyone currently using one of these to run Dolphin?[/color]
The CPU in that machine is the Xeon E5-1620v2, which is an Ivy Bridge-E CPU running at 3.7Ghz. That should be enough for most games if you're on the latest dev build of 5.0 Dolphin. There might be a few demanding games you can't run at full speed, though.

As for the RAM, 12 GB is more than enough for standard Dolphin. If you want to use hi-res textures packs and do the prefetch option, you may want to bump it up to around 16 GB or more.

As for the D300, since Dolphin can only use one GPU, you'll get performance similar to a GTX 750 Ti, so you should be able to go up to 4x IR with some various other enhancements.

You may want to look into running Windows through Bootcamp if you encounter any graphical issues since Apple has stopped making advances in their OpenGL drivers.
Ok thanks! Smile