Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Should I buy my roommate's build for Dolphin-use?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

midnighthawkeye

Hey Dolphin family, my roommate is moving and no longer has a need for his desktop. I currently use Dolphin on an old laptop but would love to upgrade if the shoe fits. I wanted to know:

A) What do you guys think of the setup?
B) What would you pay for it / What would you upgrade?
Here's the early 2013 order from Cyber Power: http://imgur.com/a/H71TL

All I know is that it's an early 2013 build from CyberPower, it's been sitting under his bed for 6 - 7 months, and the ram has been upgraded to 16 GB.

I'm comfortable enough with software, but don't have much experience evaluating the quality of the hardware. If it's worth it I'd love to give it a shot and enter the world of PC.

I simply cannot run Mario Sunshine/Mario Kart on my laptop and would love to have something that will do the job. I don't need incredible graphics or detail, just hoping for something consistent.

Thanks for your advice! I really appreciate it.
Looks like a decent computer that should do the job for what you want. The processor is fine as well as the RAM. I'd personally upgrade the graphics card, but for what you want, I don't think it will cause any problems. I can't really make any recommendations for what you should pay. How much is he asking?

midnighthawkeye

A couple hundred. Comes with a keyboard, mouse and alright monitor though. I'm just worried that it'll be like buying a boat that I have to keep throwing money at.
It's a SandyBridge-E CPU, so while it isn't bad, it's not the best for Dolphin. Most games will run on it probably. I'd say grab it and a GTX 1070, and you'll be playing Dolphin and PC games till your fingers fall off.
Depends on how much they want.

There's been significant perf improvements in many workloads, dolphin and beyond, from Sandybridge -> Kaby Lake.

midnighthawkeye

(04-08-2017, 10:37 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]It's a SandyBridge-E CPU, so while it isn't bad, it's not the best for Dolphin. Most games will run on it probably. I'd say grab it and a GTX 1070, and you'll be playing Dolphin and PC games till your fingers fall off.

Would you recommend any cheaper alternatives to the GTX 1070?
I have a GTX 1060 that works great. Honestly, there is no reason to get a 1070 for what you need. As a matter of fact, I would never recommend the 1070. Not just because the 1060 can handle anything you throw at it, including modern games, but watching reviews, even the experts recommend the 1060 over the 1070. Right now the 1070 is to expensive and doesn't offer much above the 1060. Esp if you're only playing games at 1080p. If you want to go above 1080p res, then the 1070 will perform slightly better
1070 is more future proof due to the increasing popularity of above 1080p gaming and VR gaming.

But if @midnighthawkeye doesn't need either of those, then yes, I would agree that a 1060 or even a 1050 Ti would be a better choice.

edit: the GTX 660 that is currently in the machine is fine if you only want to play Dolphin. However, most modern games will force you to run at lower than 1080p to hit 30 fps nowadays.