Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Large uptick in "Failed to submit command buffer errors" when using Vulkan backend
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I've been loving the Vulkan backend for a long time now, but recently it's become pretty much unusable as every time I use it, after between 15-30 mins I get continuous "Failed to submit command buffer" errors. If I hold enter, the game's music continues in the background but video is completely stuck.

I've had this issue in Mario Kart Wii and Sonic Colours, they're the only two games I can reliably test. It happens regardless of dual core settings, but (as per) turning dual core off does seem to prolong the play time before the issue arises.

This only happens with Vulkan, DX11 and OpenGL are fine. Although, OpenGL did seem very slow despite using an NVidia GPU.

I am, as always, using the latest development build of Dolphin on Windows 8.1.

I've not seen this anywhere else, so it could just be me.
I got this too when trying to play Wind Waker with Vulkan.
Can you please bisect to find which build is causing this? If you can center it on a build, we can either fix the regression or at least revert it if is something not easily fixed while the change is worked on more.
I'm using 5.0-3253.
Having done a bit more testing on the latest master build as of an hour ago, It's now occurring quite a bit more. BUT, I've been unable to pin it down to any specific point. As it's not a crash, I don't think the VS debugger would be able to pick it up. I'm going to try though.

EDIT: Apologies if this counts as bumping, I kinda forgot about this thread until about an hour ago.

EDIT 2: New thing! When the error occurs, it logs this:

Code:
08:52:397 VulkanLoader.cpp:314 E[Video]: (Vulkan::CommandBufferManager::ActivateCommandBuffer) vkWaitForFences failed:  (-4: VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST)
08:52:397 VulkanLoader.cpp:314 E[Video]: (Vulkan::CommandBufferManager::SubmitCommandBuffer) vkQueueSubmit failed:  (-4: VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST)
08:52:414 VulkanLoader.cpp:314 E[Video]: (Vulkan::CommandBufferManager::ActivateCommandBuffer) vkWaitForFences failed:  (-4: VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST)
08:52:414 VulkanLoader.cpp:314 E[Video]: (Vulkan::CommandBufferManager::SubmitCommandBuffer) vkQueueSubmit failed:  (-4: VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST)