Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: memory card formating issues with save states
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

gamerX459

i play many games without complications with save states and then save the data on the regular memory card after done playing

i did save states as needed until i was done playing wind waker mario sunshine starfox assault or four swords adventures
usually loading in case i screw something up hardcore (like game overs and stuff)

i would then save my data after finally clearing whatever area im at

go to sleep turn off cpu

next day

turn on same game

tries to tell me memory card needs formatted again

plz note i am using the default memory card provided by the initial download of the emulator

what am i doing that is corrupting the memory card/making it need formating
says that with every game i was playing

i would rather not only rely on save states for saving data
You have to set the memory card to gci folder to have a good chance of save states working. Even still this can cause problems so try not to load a save state with different game saves if you want to be careful.
If you make a save-state, then save a game using in-game methods, then load the savestate and try to re-save, stuff usually breaks. If you're using a memory card, break one save breaks the whole thing. Using the GCi folder option prevents this. Unless you have a backup of your memory card, you might be out of luck. You can try using Dolphin's memory card manager to remove saves one at a time to figure out which save is broken.

gamerX459

(03-30-2017, 02:26 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]If you make a save-state, then save a game using in-game methods, then load the savestate and try to re-save, stuff usually breaks. If you're using a memory card, break one save breaks the whole thing. Using the GCi folder option prevents this. Unless you have a backup of your memory card, you might be out of luck. You can try using Dolphin's memory card manager to remove saves one at a time to figure out which save is broken.

gci folder?

some1 wanna explain this?..first ive ever heard of a gci folder?

might explain alot for me
how to use gci folder?
In config, GameCube, change memory card to GCI folder.

gamerX459

(03-30-2017, 09:08 PM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]In config, GameCube, change memory card to GCI folder.

found it..gonna test it out now will reply with results soon
ty for info

edit1 works like a charm thank you very much Heart