Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Do i need a video card for new build?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Seta-San

I'm just wondering how reliant this emulator is reliant on the video card. i'm looking at building a new pc with a 7th generation i5 for my tv and i'm wondering if the intel graphics are good enough or do I need a card
If you want to play at the resolutions that the gc/wii naively pushed, Intel graphics are fine. If you want to play at HD resolutions, get anything that is a notch above Intel graphics. Nvidia GPUs are generally higher performing and less buggy than AMD because it can use the high perf and accurate Opengl backend. If you have your heart set on AMD GPUs, stick to D3D11 or Vulkan.
Probably you'll be able to run at 2x or higher with Intel graphics. I have a 4th gen i5 (4670K), not overclocked and I run almost everything with 2x the native resolution (but all the games at 1.5x)
Intel has some driver bugs that are just plain stupid. And if you want to play any of the Paper Mario series, you'll have issues due to bounding box. I recommend getting a super cheap GTX 1050/1050 TI or something like that, and never worry about the iGPU being too weak
Quote:[color=#000000]you'll have issues due to bounding box.[/color]

That is resolved in the latest development builds. SSBO is not required for bbox emulation anymore. ligfx created a GL 4.0 fallback path thats slower but works
From what I saw in the blog post it didn't look like it was hitting 60 fps, and I don't remember if the PM series was a 30 fps or 60 fps series.