Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Getting random, temporary slowdown in all games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(03-22-2017, 01:25 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]I tried to look up your exact CPU model, since you didn´t specify it entirely. Judging from the base clock I found out that you could have either the 4690K or the 6600K.

On either case, your CPU shouldn´t be the problem.

Could you also make sure you didn´t touch the CPU clock override option?

My CPU is indeed a Core i5-4690. I have not touched the CPU clock override option.

Also, I forgot to mention that I checked the various temperature readings for my CPU, GPU, and motherboard while playing Dolphin and all of them are normal.

I've been playing more Mario Galaxy 2 and am finding that the situation I reported from my last post is still the case: small momentary blips down to 40-50 fps that happen fairly infrequently. There was one incident where everything slowed down to 30 fps for something like three seconds, but then it cleared up.

I'd love to get all of those small slowdowns fixed. Do people generally get a perfectly smooth 60 fps with Dolphin 5.0.x with most Wii games, or are the momentary slowdowns I'm experiencing normal for where the emulator is currently at?

User0001

Most Wii games run perfectly smooth on my PC and you'd see a lot of Dolphin 5.0 videos on Youtube running Wii games at 60 fps in 4k res. Slowdowns are kinda uncommon to see in Dolphin 5.0x depending on how demanding a game is.

If it's not a hardware issue and some background process screwing around, one thing I could recommend is to address these minor slowdowns by increasing your PC's performance with these suggestions:

1. First, scan your drive for errors.
2. Clean your drive using disk cleaner.
3. Defrag your drive.
Okay, I've got a new(ish) problem now. Sometimes games will slow down persistently to exactly 30 fps. It seems to be triggered by entering a certain area or mode of the game. It doesn't just clear up by waiting, and most of the tricks I mentioned in my original post don't fix it (including pausing the game -- the Wii pause menu will still run at 30 fps!) Oftentimes leaving that particular game area will clear it up. Sometimes it doesn't.

It's extremely annoying. Any ideas on what's going wrong?

edit:

Quote:If it's not a hardware issue and some background process screwing around, one thing I could recommend is to address these minor slowdowns by increasing your PC's performance with these suggestions: 

1. First, scan your drive for errors.
2. Clean your drive using disk cleaner.
3. Defrag your drive.

Even though this is unlikely to be the issue, gave it a try anyway. No disk errors, and disks are already 0% fragmented.
If it's slowing down to exactly 30 vsync is probably enabled in dolphin or Nvidia control panel.
(03-23-2017, 11:27 PM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]If it's slowing down to exactly 30 vsync is probably enabled in dolphin or Nvidia control panel.

Yes, VSync is enabled in Dolphin.
Disable it. A drop of many frames will make the game to run at 30 FPS until it goes back to full speed.
I would strongly prefer not to, as without it there's tons of very visible vertical tearing.

Also, clearly something else other than having vsync turned on is causing this problem, even if it's involved. Pretty much everyone does not experience this issue when they have vsync turned on, and my computer is definitely fast enough to emulate at full speed given that when this slowdown occurs I can clear it up by toggling frame skip, at which point the game emulates faster than 60 fps.

Furthermore, there are plenty of momentary blips of slowness while playing a game that causes a very brief drop in the emulator's FPS, but it doesn't drop it down to 30 and keep it there.
Frameskip is broken. Do not use it.

It was removed after 5.0 stable
Noted. The other way I clear up the slowness is to exit and re-enter full screen. For whatever reason that consistently clears it up.

The important point is that there's no hardware limitations that explain the slowdown. The emulator is clearly getting itself into some kind of degenerate state where it's possible to get it out again by toggling various functions like full screen mode. Perhaps that's a clue?
Update: I've turned back on "Store EFB copies to texture only" since it seemed to only be a problem when DSP Emulator Engine was set to "DSP LLE recompiler" instead of "DSP HLE Emulator". That seems to have cleared up most of the slowdowns in Mario Galaxy 2. There's still very short blips of slowness from time to time but no big issue with it persistently slowing down to 30 fps.

However I've been playing Metroid Prime and I'm still getting issues in it. Less than before, but sometimes it slows down to 30 fps. Still not sure why. It's very difficult for me to debug because there's no way for me to persistently reproduce the issue.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Pages: 1 2 3