Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Am I ever at risk of losing my games?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Merauder

Hey there,

Simple question, answered nowhere.

Just read this article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-0...op-channel

Holy hell! I don't do piracy, but I'd LOVE to own a couple of game legitimately, through the Wii shop!

Is there any chance I'll lose my games should Nintendo ever attempt to squash your project? Or is it basically a ROM I'll receive from Nintendo that I can keep and play off-line with Dolphin whenever I'd like?

What if Dolphin ever gets shuttered? Can I keep my legitimate ROM purchase and use another emulator?

I'm SOOOOO looking forward to Bayonetta!
It all depends, If you're careful with your Dolphin directory and NAND, you'll be fine, as far as I know, Nintendo can't revoke access to a title that's already installed.
If Dolphin goes away? That depends, if this hypothetical new emulator supports using a real NAND, the System Menu, ES_Launch etc. Then you should be OK, but honestly, I don't see Dolphin going anywhere any time soon.

Merauder

Cheers WamWam! Now to figure out how to storm the Wii Shop! The Emulator I downloaded has no such option, but maybe a newer version...

Can figure it out by myself though! I'm So happy that Nintendo will take my money!
(03-18-2017, 10:50 PM)Merauder Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any chance I'll lose my games should Nintendo ever attempt to squash your project?

If Nintendo somehow makes the Dolphin project shut down (though I'm not sure how that would happen), your games won't be affected in any way. If Nintendo manages to block Dolphin from accessing the Wii Shop Channel, you won't be able to re-download the purchased games, but the games you already have downloaded will continue working.

(03-18-2017, 10:50 PM)Merauder Wrote: [ -> ]Or is it basically a ROM I'll receive from Nintendo that I can keep and play off-line with Dolphin whenever I'd like?

Yes.

(03-18-2017, 10:50 PM)Merauder Wrote: [ -> ]What if Dolphin ever gets shuttered? Can I keep my legitimate ROM purchase and use another emulator?

Sure, assuming there is any other working emulator. (It's also possible to continue using Dolphin even if the project shuts down for some reason.)

(03-18-2017, 11:04 PM)Merauder Wrote: [ -> ]Cheers WamWam! Now to figure out how to storm the Wii Shop! The Emulator I downloaded has no such option, but maybe a newer version...

Can figure it out by myself though! I'm So happy that Nintendo will take my money!

Keep in mind that accessing the Wii Shop Channel requires data from a real console. If you don't have one, you're not going to be able to buy games.

Merauder

(03-18-2017, 11:09 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Keep in mind that accessing the Wii Shop Channel requires data from a real console. If you don't have one, you're not going to be able to buy games.

... FUCK!

Urgh! Shot down I guess. I don't have a console and I don't intent on buying one. I just want the game and I'm more than willing to pay for it. Now I'll have to figure something else out.

Cheers for the information and good luck with your project!
Can't you get everything you need from the NUS downloader?
From the progress report:

Quote:
  • Valid Console ID and keys.bin from that console.

• Console country must be valid for that System Menu region.

• [color=#428bca]Properly Extracted Certs[/color] - Old tool Cert tool was flawed, please go through the process again if you've done this in the past.

• All IOSes and Updates. The System Menu's Online Updater can be used so long as the System Menu and its IOS are installed.

• SSL Verification Enabled - This isn't necessary but you'll want it on if you're buying games. As of [color=#428bca]5.0-2941[/color] or newer, this is on by default. In older builds this can be enabled manually in dolphin.ini by using the option "SSLVerifyCert = True".

So no, you can't get everything you need from NUS Downloader. You do need dumps from an actual console.
it could ship with a premade one compatible with the wiishop channel that is not from a real console. Nintendo no longer gives a shit about the Wii
No we can't. You need a valid and unique keys.bin that you can only get from a real Wii.
what makes it valid and unique
Pages: 1 2