Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Gecko codes not saving?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Trying to add a gecko code by editing a games properties, but when I edit the config and save it then close it, they disappear when I open them again and don't show up in the list. Any idea what's up?

egarlic

(03-16-2017, 01:46 PM)Firion Wrote: [ -> ]Trying to add a gecko code by editing a games properties, but when I edit the config and save it then close it, they disappear when I open them again and don't show up in the list. Any idea what's up?

I seem to be having a similar problem. I was, up until yesterday, using the last official release (5.0). I updated to 2877, and now 2941. With both of those, I'm having issues with game settings.

Dolphin seems to be using a different ID format for its game ini files. I do not know when this changed, as there is of course a large gap between 5.0 and these recent builds. But in 5.0, Mega Man 9 settings and cheats would save to WR9E08.ini, and the save states would be WR9E08.s0x. Now, the format seems to be 0001000157523945.ini (again, for Mega Man 9), and the same format for save states. So, it would recognize neither for me, but manually copying the information from the old ini seemed to do the trick.

Where it gets weirder, though, is that editing the game's settings WR9E08.ini. So is it loading from one and saving to the other, or am I just confused about something here? Is the format change an intentional one that I'll just have to conform to, or is this a bug? 

Edit: This actually only seems to be happening with virtual console titles. I just tried a GC ISO and a Wii ISO and there is no problem. Perhaps it's related to the recent (very neat) Virtual Console shop progress?
Yeah I'm using 5.0 stable and having this problem, WR9E08.ini is what the titles look like but they just won't save no matter what.
(03-16-2017, 02:17 PM)egarlic Wrote: [ -> ]Now, the format seems to be 0001000157523945.ini (again, for Mega Man 9), and the same format for save states.

This is unintentional as far as I know. Thanks for pointing it out - I'll see if I can get it fixed. It was most likely caused by either 5.0-2830 or 5.0-2712.

EDIT: It seems to be 5.0-2712.
EDIT2: Actually, I think 5.0-2712 caused it for everything but game INI settings (not cheats) and 5.0-2830 caused it for game INI settings. I haven't tested that specifically, though.

egarlic

(03-16-2017, 05:03 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]This is unintentional as far as I know. Thanks for pointing it out - I'll see if I can get it fixed. It was most likely caused by either 5.0-2830 or 5.0-2712.

EDIT: It seems to be 5.0-2712.
EDIT2: Actually, I think 5.0-2712 caused it for everything but game INI settings (not cheats) and 5.0-2830 caused it for game INI settings. I haven't tested that specifically, though.

Thanks for the reply and your pull request, and glad I could help.

I've got kind of a silly/uninformed followup question. Are recommended (as per the wiki) per-game settings automatically loaded from anywhere by Dolphin? When I was using the stable 5.0, there were some wiiware games that I could load and they were seemingly perfect. Again using Mega Man 9/10 as an example, loading them in the most recent dev build required that I input all the settings and hacks from the wiki (which is no big deal). I do not think it's simply a matter of me having done it before (many years ago and forgetting) and losing the game ini settings, as I do not see them saved in my old file either. Again, no big deal, just wondering if this is a symptom of the game ID issue or unrelated. Are the per-game hacks that are *required* loaded from an online resource or anything?

Edit: Whoops, I see this probably isn't your actual issue, Firion. Any chance running Dolphin as administrator helps?
(03-16-2017, 10:05 PM)egarlic Wrote: [ -> ]Are recommended (as per the wiki) per-game settings automatically loaded from anywhere by Dolphin?

Dolphin includes recommended settings that are loaded automatically per-game, but these don't necessarily match what's on the wiki.

(03-16-2017, 10:05 PM)egarlic Wrote: [ -> ]Again using Mega Man 9/10 as an example, loading them in the most recent dev build required that I input all the settings and hacks from the wiki (which is no big deal). I do not think it's simply a matter of me having done it before (many years ago and forgetting) and losing the game ini settings, as I do not see them saved in my old file either. Again, no big deal, just wondering if this is a symptom of the game ID issue or unrelated.

It's because of the game ID issue.

(03-16-2017, 10:05 PM)egarlic Wrote: [ -> ]Are the per-game hacks that are *required* loaded from an online resource or anything?

No. Dolphin can't load settings from the internet.
Is that related to my issue of it not saving too out of curiosity or is it a separate one?
(03-17-2017, 05:24 AM)Firion Wrote: [ -> ]Is that related to my issue of it not saving too out of curiosity or is it a separate one?

It's separate as far as I know. Not saving is usually caused by using incorrect syntax in the file.
(03-17-2017, 05:54 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]It's separate as far as I know. Not saving is usually caused by using incorrect syntax in the file.

Thanks, that fixed it, didn't know it needed to be set up a specific way or it'd auto delete