Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Best video cores for accuracy, stability, and performance?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I do apologize for asking what I am sure is an already answered question. I did my perquisite googling, and I couldn't find much more than anecdotal stuff. If there is a thread hashing out all the info already, then feel free to just post a link. I couldn't find it, so thus I am here Big Grin

I have a modern system (filled out in my profile) with the highlights being an intel 6600k and a GTX 1080 on windows 10 x64.

If it matters, I don't have a 3d anything, I use a 60hz and 4k monitor, and I prefer to play with integer scaling rather than a fixed aspect ratio.

I was wondering, between d3d11, d3d12, vulkan, and opengl, which graphics plugin should I use?

Which would perform the best (and by how much)?

Which would be the most stable and the most accurate?

Thank you!
OpenGL on Nvidia GPUs is probably the best bet. It's the most compatible and will run the fastest (last time I checked). This is because Nvidia has really good OpenGL drivers (not so for AMD, where their OpenGl drivers are not very good).
As for D3D11, it has the same level of compatibility but is not quite as fast as OpenGL.
D3D12 is not currently being maintained, so expect some bugs.
Vulkan is being worked on, and devs are trying to fix issues. So you may want to help look for issues, but OpenGL will be more stable.
There are fringe scenarios where Vulkan can provide significantly better performance than OpenGL. An example would be Metroid Prime map screens. Goes from 40-50 fps, all the way up to 300+.
That... Honestly sounds like we're not emulating something correctly?
(03-16-2017, 12:47 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]OpenGL on Nvidia GPUs is probably the best bet. It's the most compatible and will run the fastest (last time I checked). This is because Nvidia has really good OpenGL drivers (not so for AMD, where their OpenGl drivers are not very good).
As for D3D11, it has the same level of compatibility but is not quite as fast as OpenGL.
D3D12 is not currently being maintained, so expect some bugs.
Vulkan is being worked on, and devs are trying to fix issues. So you may want to help look for issues, but OpenGL will be more stable.

So Dolphin runs better with OpenGL than D3D11? I never tried OpenGL on my PC, I thought it was slower.
On nvidia it's faster in Dolphin as well as more accurate. Another just as fast option is Vulkan.
Hm, thank you. I'll try it on my PC later, tried on my laptop which has HD Graphics 3000, and the result was very bad, I heard Intel has bad OpenGL drivers.
Intel HD 3000 is just a bad iGPU. Junk drivers with no more support.
On my NVIDIA card, OpenGL runs a little more stable than D3D11, but when I tested Vulkan it ran about 10% faster than OpenGL, maybe I have some CPU bottleneck, MSI Afterburner monitor doesn't work with OpenGL on Dolphin.
Hey guys, I installed a custom driver (PHDGD Omega 3.5) on my laptop, and got very nice performance improvment, even OpenGL is faster than before, I guess about 2x faster, but D3D11 is still 2x faster than OpenGL. Anyway it's a good for who wants to improve performance on HD Graphics.
Pages: 1 2