Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: dolphin bar and bluetooth passthrough
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What are the differences between Bluetooth passthrough and Dolphinbar? Why bluetooth passthrough is considered better?
(03-15-2017, 04:21 AM)DolphinPC Wrote: [ -> ]What are the differences between Bluetooth passthrough and Dolphinbar? Why bluetooth passthrough is considered better?

I haven't tried it yet, but I think the Bluetooth passthrough essentially acts identically to the Bluetooth connections of a real Wii unit. So it's supposed to be fully accurate. Dolphinbar uses its own internal Bluetooth translation to work with Dolphin and your PC. Also, you would need a separate IR bar if you are using passthrough and need the IR tracking in your game. I have the Dolphinbar and overall I find it plenty accurate for 99% of the games I have played. Only minor troubles sometimes in Zelda Skyward Sword, usually with the bug net being a bit hard to control.

Rumor has it, Mayflash is working on an updated Dolphinbar that will work with the passthrough feature, though I haven't seen any concrete declarations from them about this.
Bluetooth passthrough lets you skip a lot of layers.

Emulated Bluetooth (on something like Windows):
Game <==> Game's BT stack <==> Dolphin's emulated BT adapter <==> HID driver <==> Host BT stack <==> BT adapter <==> Wii Remote
+ remote scanning thread
+ reply parsing and generation

Bluetooth passthrough:
Game <==> Game's BT stack <==> BT adapter <==> Wii Remote