Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Best Sensor Bar for use with Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I've heard a lot about the DolphinBar so far but apparently it seems to have issues with LEDs burning out. What I'm looking for is an infrared sensor bar so that whenever I have Wii Remotes connected to my PC for use with Dolphin (my laptop has bluetooth built into it so I'm able to do this) I'll be able to use the pointing functionality. So all I really need is just a good sensor bar that puts out the infrared light, I don't necessarily need something with all of the features that DolphinBar has. Most importantly, I'd prefer it to not be required to run on batteries and have the option to connect it into the PC via a USB connection. I'm also looking for something that's reliable, preferably a bar that somebody has had for a while and can contest to having no problems with it. This isn't to say that the DolphinBar may not be what I'm looking for, but I just want to make sure I invest in the right thing. Any advice?
Buy an official Nintendo Sensor Bar and modify it
I bought one in 2010 and it's still working
Or this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Wired-Infrar...Sw241YWjMU
not sure if it's official sensor bar though
(03-05-2017, 10:29 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Buy an official Nintendo Sensor Bar and modify it
I bought one in 2010 and it's still working
Or this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Wired-Infrar...Sw241YWjMU
not sure if it's official sensor bar though

Wait, that one actually looks really good.  If the infrared lights turn on simply by plugging it into powered USB port on a laptop, I'm not sure why I'd need to modify it at all.  Or is there something that I'm missing here?
Original Sensor Bar doesn't have USB connector , that's why you have to modify it
[Image: wii-sensorbar-480x320.png]
You can either buy the original sensor bar then modify it (assume if you know how to solder stuff) or just buy a USB version which is unlikely genuine Nintendo product
I see. Well, as cheap as the most-likely non-genuine ones are, I think I'll just go ahead and try them out. Thanks, I appreciate it!
i have used a normal sensor bar for a while. Yes it was working, but i just bought the Mayflash Dolphinbar and i can only suggest,
GO FOR IT.
It comes with it's own bluetooth controller, syncing up wiimotes is as easy as possible. like on a normal Wii.
Only downside, it needs an USB connection so atm i cannot use it above my beamer but apart from this
i don't regret it at all, that i went for the Dolphinbar.
Dolphinbar is what I use and its sitting ontop of my monitor and the short 1 meter cable actually works for me in this regard as it just plugs straight into the hub built into the side of my monitor. My only issue now is that the IR LEDS have gotten very dim becuase of the heat build up and thus the bar isn't usable as a sensor bar for me anymore but that was before the firmware to shut the ir leds off came about. If you do grab a Dolphinbar make sure the firmware is fully up to date. If I get one to replace my current one I am making sure the firmware is up to date and I will be placing some holes int he top to help heat escape as well so they don't over heat and thus go bad again. Which means a number of Wii games are currently unplayable for me right now because I don't have a sensor bar for IR Tracking.
I wouldn't recommend the dolphinbar right now because of the lack of Passthrough. Passthrough solves a lot of random wiimote issues. They do plan to release a dolphinbar plus eventually. If it uses a Wii's Bluetooth or a good enough is unknown.
I have never had any issues with my wiimote at all when my Dolphinbar was fully working. So I have no idea what you are talking about.
From https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2016/10/24/...ssthrough/
"Unfortunately, even when using Real Wiimotes Dolphin could sometimes leave something to be desired. Broken Wii Remote speaker audio, lag during rumble/audio, difficulty detecting accessories like the MotionPlus, and inaccurate syncing with the MotionPlus made games less enjoyable. On MacOS, simply scanning for Wii Remotes can crash the emulator!"
Pages: 1 2