Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Performance difference between using an ISO and a DVD?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Vanquish46

Hello all, just discovered Dolphin and quickly would like to thank the Devs for creating such a wonderful program.

Are there any known performance differences between running you game as an ISO (on your hard drive) as opposed to burning it onto a DVD and using that?

I apologize if this question has been already answered, but I did some searches and did not find anything. I also apologize if this seems to be a stupid question. However with my limited knowledge I would think that the data can be read faster off of the hard drive.

If this helps I have a 500gb sata hdd @7.2k rpm and a Samsung SH-S203N 20x DVD±RW DL SATA Drive.

Thank you!
ISO (stored in HD) +1
beacuse the Read speed of HD higher than DVD-Rom
especially when you are playing what game needed to "Loading" time ..

but if you can .. " RamDisk " better perfect Read speed... on the premise that you set the at least 5G Ram sapce ... and must be careful ... when you Shutdown .. what data stored in Ramdisk space will disappear (all data be erased)

Vanquish46

Ok thank you, thats what I figured but my friend wasn't sure.
Well, using a DVD will make loading times longer, making it feel like a real Wii.

Q to Developers: Are loading operations on main emulation thread or on a separate one?