Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Recommneded way to upgrade develpment versions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

mcaron1234

What is the recommended procedure for upgrading the development versions? Should I just unpack the archive over the previous version, or does that overwrite custom GameSetting ini files?
The way I do it, I have a folder named Dolphin, and then when I download a new dev build, I rename the old Dolphin-x64 to Dolphin-x64-XXXX (with XXXX being the build number). Then I extract the new Dolphin-x64 folder into the Dolphin folder. This makes it so my shortcuts always point to the latest build and I have backup builds in case of a regression and I need to go back.
Unpack the archive to a new folder. Do not unpack it to an existing Dolphin folder – it will in some cases lead to problems with pre-defined game INIs and some other files in the Sys folder.

(03-01-2017, 08:45 AM)mcaron1234 Wrote: [ -> ]Should I just unpack the archive over the previous version, or does that overwrite custom GameSetting ini files?

It will only overwrite custom game INIs if you manually have been putting game INIs in Sys/GameSettings/, which you shouldn't be doing. Put them in Documents/Dolphin Emulator/GameSettings/ instead.

mcaron1234

Great thanks for the advice.

(03-02-2017, 01:53 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]It will only overwrite custom game INIs if you manually have been putting game INIs in Sys/GameSettings/, which you shouldn't be doing. Put them in Documents/Dolphin Emulator/GameSettings/ instead.

I have been manually editing the game ini for Legend of Zelda Collectors edition because it has setting in it necessary to play the included Nintendo games, but not necessary for OoT.  I guess instead of editing that file I should put those settings in the C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\GameSettings ini file instead?
I've always just downloaded the latest zip and extracted to it's own folder on my desktop the opened it and played it straight from there, that was when I was using windows, now I just update my packages to get the latest version. The good thing is all the important saves, texture and what not are safe in the documents folder (applies to windows), on Kubuntu they are in .local/share/dolphin-emu/.