Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: A time to buy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I built my pc April of last year. I was looking to upgrade my ram and I noticed prices on some things seem to have jumped up 20 to 30 bucks. I don't remember paying 60 dollars for 8GB of memory. I'm pretty sure it was more around 35. Is there a good time to buy parts? Or are prices just going up everywhere?

Secondary question- I have a i-6700. It came with its own thermal paste on the fan. Its been about a year. Do I need to get some more thermal paste and reapply to be safe?

thank you for your time.
You're buying DDR4. Those prices sound normal. Unless you bought like, 4GB initially or found a crazy good sale, I don't ever remember it being $35

Don't bother reapplying the thermal paste unless you're having temp problems, and even then I'd check the heatsink and fan itself for dust first.
Thanks for the input. Also, my motherboard specs say "DDR4 2133". Can it only handle that speed or can it handle more? PcPartPicker is saying its compatible but i want to be sure.
I'd only buy RAM that your motherboard is rated for. Nothing faster.

Besides, if you're adding more RAM modules, it's only going to run at the speed of the slowest module.

On top of *that*, unless you're gaming on the integrated GPU, RAM speed makes almost zero difference unless you're looking for single digit differences in synthetic benchmarks.
Alrighty. Thanks again.