Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Advice for PC Build for Melee Netplay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

themostrandomuser

I'm in the process of putting together parts to build a new PC that is specifically going to be used for playing Super Smash Brothers Melee netplay at 480p/60FPS while recording locally using OBS.

http://www.pcpartpicker.com/list/YxCY8K

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHZ 8-Cores
GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 750TI 2GB
Memory: Kingston 16GB 1600MHZ
SSD: Intel 730 240GB SSD

I'm struggling to decide whether I should get an AMD processor or Intel processor. On one hand, the AMD processor is cheap, can be overclocked, and will be able to handle the multiple tasks since it has more cores than say a Pentium G4620 or I3 6300; On the other hand, I've heard that AMD processors don't run dolphin nearly as well compared to even I3s.

I'm just torn and would like some advice and opinions. I am on a budget of $700 and would not like to exceed that. If I do, in the end, have to spend more and save for a bit longer, then so be it.
If you wait a week or so, AMD Ryzen will be fully unveiled and tested in Dolphin, and may be a better option for a dedicated Dolphin rig.
Quote:I've heard that AMD processors don't run dolphin nearly as well compared to even I3s.
Around half the speed of an i3
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#which-...ould-i-use
AMD said Ryzen will be 52% faster than Piledriver in single thread performance , you better wait for it
(02-24-2017, 09:31 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]If you wait a week or so, AMD Ryzen will be fully unveiled and tested in Dolphin, and may be a better option for a dedicated Dolphin rig.

(02-24-2017, 10:57 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Around half the speed of an i3
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#which-...ould-i-use
AMD said Ryzen will be 52% faster than Piledriver in single thread performance , you better wait for it

If you are going with what is out today get an Intel chip. I think a recent i5 chip would EASILY handle what you are trying to do. It might even be overkill. Someone more knowledgeable than me would have to comment but you could probably get by with something less.

I wouldn't buy an AMD chip right now. I just can't argue for you spending $130 or less for an AMD chip over an i3 or ~$200 for an AMD chip over an i5.

If you are going to wait for Ryzen that might make sense, but you'll be waiting a while. I don't see how it makes sense to spend 50-60%+ of your budget on a CPU for what you are trying to do. You'll spend at minimum $329+tax on an AMD chip when an i5 could get what you want done. Maybe a potential Ryzen 4/8 or 6/12 ct chip could make sense for you but those aren't coming out in 2 weeks it'll be a longer wait.
Here are two builds I think you can build today that would handle your Melee stuff and also way more. Please keep in mind I didn't include the monitor in either build. I didn't look too much into the monitor you chose but I feel like $115 or whatever it was for a 21.5 inch monitor that is 1080p but nothinggn else special you can get either a better price or a 24" for that price. Also, I don't always trust the pc part pickers. I think you can find a 6600K for $~190-200 quite frequently yet it has it at $234........

Anyway....I think if you use these 2 as guides you can build something you want for your budget. I wouldn't just buy the parts straight on the list right away. Also, you didn't list storage as something you needed.....

i3 Link

i5 Link

EDIT: In the i5 build I used a USB adapter for WIFI to save $. Don't know how much you actually need WIFI. In both builds I went down to 8 GB of ram. I don't think you need 16. Would rather spend extra few bucks on CPU or GPU. You could also (obviously) save ~$20 on a case if you chose something different. I also wonder if you even need i3 or if G3258 or G4560 would work. I chose the builds assuming you might want to do MORE than just playing Melee and recording it. Maybe you want to encode your videos too? lol. Then an i5 would be real nice haha.

AGAIN....you could wait for Ryzen but I wouldn't buy a 8/16 chip with your budget I'd wait the few months for a 4/4 4/8 or 6/12.

DOUBLE EDIT: I LOVE the 470/480 AMD GPUs but I've heard people say they don't work as well with Dolphin....or maybe that was CEMU....I'm not sure....but if you prefer Nvidia you can probably swap it out for 1050 or 1050ti or 750ti which is what you chose if you really want to save money. But I think the price point you are at a 470 is an awesome choice.

ANYWAY I tried to help you so I hope you actually respond back and give me some feedback lol.

themostrandomuser

(02-24-2017, 05:32 PM)Gregtastic Wrote: [ -> ]Here are two builds I think you can build today that would handle your Melee stuff and also way more. Please keep in mind I didn't include the monitor in either build. I didn't look too much into the monitor you chose but I feel like $115 or whatever it was for a 21.5 inch monitor that is 1080p but nothinggn else special you can get either a better price or a 24" for that price. Also, I don't always trust the pc part pickers. I think you can find a 6600K for $~190-200 quite frequently yet it has it at $234........

Anyway....I think if you use these 2 as guides you can build something you want for your budget. I wouldn't just buy the parts straight on the list right away. Also, you didn't list storage as something you needed.....

i3 Link

i5 Link

EDIT: In the i5 build I used a USB adapter for WIFI to save $. Don't know how much you actually need WIFI. In both builds I went down to 8 GB of ram. I don't think you need 16. Would rather spend extra few bucks on CPU or GPU. You could also (obviously) save ~$20 on a case if you chose something different. I also wonder if you even need i3 or if G3258 or G4560 would work. I chose the builds assuming you might want to do MORE than just playing Melee and recording it. Maybe you want to encode your videos too? lol. Then an i5 would be real nice haha.

AGAIN....you could wait for Ryzen but I wouldn't buy a 8/16 chip with your budget I'd wait the few months for a 4/4 4/8 or 6/12.

DOUBLE EDIT: I LOVE the 470/480 AMD GPUs but I've heard people say they don't work as well with Dolphin....or maybe that was CEMU....I'm not sure....but if you prefer Nvidia you can probably swap it out for 1050 or 1050ti or 750ti which is what you chose if you really want to save money. But I think the price point you are at a 470 is an awesome choice.

ANYWAY I tried to help you so I hope you actually respond back and give me some feedback lol.

I looked through the two builds and I really like the i5 one. I think in the end, I will go with an I5 because it is cheaper than the lowest variant of the i5 CPUs. I've been asking a a few Melee netplayers and the said that an I3 wouldn't be enough. I will be swapping out the 470 with a 750ti because I don't see myself running dolphin with any anti-aliasing or higher resolution. Also, it saves me lots of money in the end.

If AMD comes out with 4 core Ryzens in the next few months, I might reconsider. For the time being, I will stick with the I5. Thanks for your (and everyone elses) feedback and help Smile
Your welcome. Ryzen may be worth it months from now but if you want it sooner i5 is great. I think Microcenter has the i5-6660K on sale for like $170 right now if one is by you. Also, while I really like the 470 switching it out for the 750ti will help you save some money or invest it elsewhere in the build if it gets the job done.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/45188..._Processor

Too lazy to link it the proper way. $180......$50 off what is listed on pcpartpicker.