Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Super Mario Galaxy; Speed Issues at 720p
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

MaxMouse

If you look at my specs, I'd say that they're pretty good. However, I cannot get Super Mario Galaxy to run a 60fps stable when I up the resolution. To play at full speed, I'm forced to use the lowest resolution setting and IT IS UGLY. Now I may be pushing my GPU a bit (Anti-Aliasing at 8x and Anisotropic Filtering at 16x, but there are other settings I could be raising) but I really feel like something is amiss... My grandfather's Mac used to run Super Mario Galaxy at 60fps on Dolphin 3.0 way back whenever. My specs are WAY better than his! (now, he didn't have anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering all the way up, but they weren't on none) Is there something that I'm missing? Or do I just not have the hardware?
Quote:Anti-Aliasing at 8x
Is that SSAA ? SSAA is very demanding , you should use sth else
GTX 1050ti can handle sth like 6x Internal Resolution (IR) without AA or 3xIR + 4x MSAA
3xIR + 8x SSAA would equal to 12xIR (7680x6336) . Not even a GTX 1080 could handle that resolution

MaxMouse

(02-23-2017, 02:56 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Is that SSAA ? SSAA is very demanding , you should use sth else
GTX 1050ti can handle sth like 6x Internal Resolution (IR) without AA or 3xIR + 4x MSAA
3xIR + 8x SSAA would equal to 12xIR (7680x6336) . Not even a GTX 1080 could handle that resolution

I didn't see an option for IR stuff, but I did see MSAA Anti-Aliasing. Tried using 8x MSAA, and it's much better, but during zoom outs and camera angle changes there are frame rate drops that really bother me... Whatever, though. I can live with that. Thank you!
IR = internal resolution

Also, GPU requirements have gone up since 3.0

MaxMouse

(02-23-2017, 03:38 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Also, GPU requirements have gone up since 3.0

So... I can play at full speed if I play on 3.0? You'd think that the requirements would go DOWN because they'd optimize it more or something.
They fixed a lot of bugs in GPU post 4.0.2 so that's when it slowed down. A 1050 is fine though. Just start art no AA and 1x IR. Increase the IR to where you want then increase the AA
Also try using using a newer dev build, it has even more bug fixes
I have no idea how you're not consistently hitting full-speed with your specifications. On an i5-3570K and 1080p, I can run it well over 60 FPS on single core.