Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: G3258 best motherboard question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hey

I'm looking to match my intel pentium G3258 with a m-atx mobo to overclock it to an playable level for dolphin, what should i look for? I play the most common wii games such as the mario franchise, kirby & xenoblade etcetc. I don't aim on having the absolute best quality hence the g3258, but i want to get a smooth experience with decent qual.
My budget is also around 60-80$.

I've looked at these motherboards but still not sure which one would be best:

G3258 said to be overclocked to 4.2 GHz at 1.24 volts with the ASUS H81M-PLUS (72.7$)

G3258 said to be overclocked to 4.6 GHz at 1.3 volts with the ASUS H81M-C (72$)

G3258 said to be overclocked to 4.5 Ghz at 1.3 volts with the ASRock H81M-HDS (70.9$)

G3258 said to be overclocked to 4.3 Ghz at 1.15 volts with the ASUS H81M-D (74.4$)

No clue which one to go for, if even one of these. I'm not very well informed on overclocking in general but i thought id try asking here since i'm using the computer for 99% for dolphin.

- ask away if i missed anything

thanks in advance

EDIT: My spec excluding the cpu/mobo is -

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050
PSU: Deltaco PSU-420 (350W) - (going to replace with 400W)
RAM: 2x Corsair 4GB CL9 1600Mhz
CASE: Fractal Design Core 1000
CPU-FAN: Noctua NH-U9B SE2
tbh if you can get that G3258 to 4.0 ghz, you don't need voltage bumps. I was able to run everything I had at full speed at 4.0 ghz, I think the only thing that started to bit a little was ground levels in Rogue Squadron.

But yeah anybody who is reading this, don't suggest the GA-H81M, they now ship with BIOS that locks the multiplier, plugging up that little loophole for the G3258.
CPU Silicon Lottery ... Some chips are good at overclocking , some chips are bad at it .
I got my G3258 @ 4.6GHz with 1.35V but some people can't reach that speed even if they raise Vcore up to 1.4V
Edit : You can delid it and reapply a high-end thermal compound like CoolLaboratory Liquid Ultra , that will help you reach higher speed but ...you will have to pay for delid tool and thermal compound
(02-22-2017, 04:00 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]CPU Silicon Lottery ... Some chips are good at overclocking , some chips are bad at it .
I got my G3258 @ 4.6GHz with 1.35V but some people can't reach that speed even if they raise Vcore up to 1.4V
Edit : You can delid it and reapply a high-end thermal compound like CoolLaboratory Liquid Ultra , that will help you reach higher speed but ...you have to pay for delid tool and thermal compound

unfamiliar about what a chip exactly is.. Don't every motherboard model have the same chip as other same model ones?

(the wording....  Huh )
The CPU , not the motherboard
Quote:Q: What is the silicon lottery?
A: When it comes to overclocking processors, every CPU is different. Imperfections during fabrication cause each CPU to have different limits in terms of clock speed.
https://siliconlottery.com/
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/the...t.2239867/
(02-22-2017, 04:31 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]The CPU , not the motherboard
https://siliconlottery.com/
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/the...t.2239867/

i see..
still need help though - bump!
If you can overclock with the motherboard you mention then any of those board will be likely get to 4.6 from the board end. In the end it the cpu it self that has to be able to do it and that where the lottery at. You should be able to reach at least 4.0 ghz though and that should be able to run most games at full speed.
I have had a G3258 overclocked on air alone at 4.4ghz almost from the first week they came out a couple of years ago and it runs beautifully.
I used an ASRock Z97M Pro4 LGA 1150 and its a dream for overclocking. Don't think the board is available anymore though.
(02-23-2017, 07:32 AM)themaster123 Wrote: [ -> ]If you can overclock with the motherboard you mention then any of those board will be likely get to 4.6 from the board end. In the end it the cpu it self that has to be able to do it and that where the lottery at. You should be able to reach at least 4.0 ghz though and that should be able to run most games at full speed.

Thanks, i now understand overclocking a lot more. Ordered the Asus H81M-C  Smile