Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Auto Adjust Window Size Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I decided to try the latest development version today, but I'm having trouble with the Auto Adjust Window Size option, and I assume it's due to the changes made in PR#4739 and 5.0-2191 that altered the behaviour of this setting.

I use a 1280x1024 monitor, so I set Dolphin to 2xIR (1280x1056), which is slightly larger than my display resolution, but I also select a window size of 1280x960 and then use "Stretch to Window" AR to force 4:3 and override the game's aspect ratio, while also keeping the image within the boundaries of the screen. This works fine in old Dolphin versions, but when I start a game in borderless fullscreen mode in 5.0-2569, the game window apparently opens to 1280x1056, so I can't see the bottom of the screen, and if I switch to fullscreen and then back to window mode, the entire Dolphin window starts bouncing up and down as it, apparently, has noticed that it doesn't fit within the boundaries of the screen and keeps trying to resize itself. I can't just disable the "Auto Adjust Window Size" option, because then Dolphin starts in a tiny window, and it doesn't hold its aspect ratio when I click and drag it to make the window larger, so it ends up being (undesirably) distorted.

My question is whether the new code for "Auto Adjust Window Size" that respects the game's intended AR could be disabled when you set your AR to "Stretch to Window", so that Dolphin will return to just creating a window of the size you select when you use this option, instead of trying to "correct" your window dimensions (since you obviously want a distorted image if you select "Stretch to Window", there should be no need to adjust the AR, AFAIK). Alternatively, having another checkbox or game ini option to just disable this AR adjustment and return to the old behaviour, regardless of which AR setting you use, would also do the trick, as would an option to just specify window dimensions manually.

Assuming my understanding of the problem is correct, you should be able to replicate it by selecting the appropriate options for your monitor. For instance, if you use a 1920x1080 monitor:
  • Set 3xIR (1920x1584)
  • Set window size to 1920x1080
  • Set AR to "Stretch to Window"
  • Disable "Use Fullscreen"
  • Enable "Borderless Fullscreen"

Start a game, and the bottom of the game window should be cut off, because the window is taller than your monitor's resolution. If you use the fullscreen toggle hotkey to enter and exit fullscreen, you may be able to replicate the strange bouncing window effect that I'm seeing, too.