Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Planning On Getting This Laptop. How Well Can It Run Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Specs are:
i5-6200U Processor (up to 2.8 GHz)

NVidia GeForce 940MX 8GB Ram and 2 of VRam.

P.S. can anyone tell me the difference between Ram and VRam?
It should be OK, but it would probably be better for us to know your budget.
VRam is ram for the gpu. VRam also is normally GDDR5 but ram is DDR3/4.
Quote:i5-6200U
Do not buy ultra low voltage (ulv) CPU for Dolphin!!!
It's slow and it always downclocks itself !
Quote:can anyone tell me the difference between Ram and VRam?
VRam is GPU memory . Ram is system memory
You can buy more Ram if it's not soldered on the motherboard but you can not change VRam
Edit : Ninja'd
(02-21-2017, 10:54 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Do not buy ultra low voltage (ulv) CPU for Dolphin!!!
It's slow and it always downclocks itself !
VRam is GPU memory . Ram is system memory
You can buy more Ram if it's not soldered on the motherboard but you can not change VRam
Edit : Ninja'd

But he can fix the CPU frequency using ThrottleStop - and the performance would be OK for many games...

Rolleyes
... Until the CPU gets hot enough to boil eggs, sure. And the OP still has not specified in which games he has interest in playing.
I am on those same specs with tweaks (registry defaults are awful for program open display speeds and other various functions) and Vulkan access,I can get Twilight Princess up to frame-hacked double speed 60fps (code I co-found with some help) in a handful of spots with it slowing down a bit in others.
It looks incredibly smooth aside from the game running too fast without the proper adjustments.

Just wished that guy didn't apparently give up on doing those full 60fps hacks.