Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wii-Based Arcade Board: Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was reading up on some fighting games, and I found Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars from 2008, which Wikipedia surprisingly says used a custom arcade board based on the Wii, a year after Triforce was discontinued. (Although as this is Capcom and Nintendo and neither Sega nor Namco were involved, as far as I know, it is unlikely that there are similarities besides it being derived from the GameCube.)

I found it discussed on a number of sites, like NeoGaf (which links to two other discussion about it), and System16.

Does anyone here know anything about it? The game was also released on the Wii and I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about how the arcade version differs from the console version. The specs listed on System16 don't seem to show anything that isn't in the Wii, but the motherboard is laid out very differently, and it would be unusual to make a whole new motherboard if nothing was different about the device.
Don't know anything about it. Unless someone owns a cabinet and it gets investigated, I don't see much information out there.
(02-20-2017, 01:03 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Don't know anything about it.  Unless someone owns a cabinet and it gets investigated, I don't see much information out there.

There is a website linked on the NeoGaf thread that sells the boards, but $350 plus shipping is too much for a relatively new arcade board. Even if it is an oddity, a single game is not worth that much. 

(It is a reasonable price for what is essentially a rare Wii plus one game, I guess, but not something I would be willing to spend the money on.)

It is a shame that these and the Triforce boards have high costs and low availability. Other arcade platforms had far more games and so the boards are more readily available.
...how much is shipping?

If we can get our hands on it, it's possible we could modify Dolphin to run the arcade version of the game, or at least learn more about this Arcade Wii unit.
Link for purchase: http://www.excellentcom.net/detail.asp?c...tid=526297

Going through the order form looks like it costs about $135 for shipping alone.
(02-23-2017, 01:36 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Link for purchase: http://www.excellentcom.net/detail.asp?c...tid=526297

Going through the order form looks like it costs about $135 for shipping alone.

Jeez! I just wrote "plus shipping" there for completeness' sake...

Well, I'm glad to have at least piqued your interests, JMC47.

It was an interesting find, for sure. It is surprising, to me, that it hasn't been brought up here before. The Wii game has a complete wiki page on the Dolphin Wiki, and is given a 5 star rating, but I guess the detail that it was also an arcade game slipped through the cracks.
The price itself isn't out of the range for us; it's finding someone (trustworthy/knowledgable/skilled enough,) to actually go through it and figure out how it works and learn of any potential quirks. Trust me, I've love to have it around, but, there's absolutely nothing I could do with it outside of say I own it xD.
(02-23-2017, 06:30 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]The price itself isn't out of the range for us; it's finding someone (trustworthy/knowledgable/skilled enough,) to actually go through it and figure out how it works and learn of any potential quirks.  Trust me, I've love to have it around, but, there's absolutely nothing I could do with it outside of say I own it xD.

At least the game could be played, right? That's always fun! More seriously, you could at least look over the board and play the game and see if there is anything obviously out of the ordinary.

Plus, even if you don't have the right person immediately, I think it would be a good investment to get it as soon as you can. That way it is in the hands of some Dolphin developer before that website runs out of stock or jacks the price up. Then in the future, the only cost will be the cost of shipping the unit to the person that knows how to dissect it.

(A little off topic: I was looking and some Triforce boards are up on Ebay, but the problem with that always is that there aren't any games. You could try and get in contact with some collector that has a ton of arcade hardware and ask for them to be loaned. A guy on Youtube known as Luke Morse has a bunch of triforce games and a full set of hardware. He seems to know a lot about arcade systems.)
I have a TriForce disc but no triforce unit. There are 3 units and it's iffy on what games are compatible with what.

I was looking up more information on the subject and found this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnWdyxYlJmo

Considering there are no known good dumps, I assume someone either used a cheat on the Wii version or modded it in some way. That's definitely Dolphin based on the audio quality from that era.
(02-23-2017, 10:32 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]I have a TriForce disc but no triforce unit.  There are 3 units and it's iffy on what games are compatible with what.

I was looking up more information on the subject and found this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnWdyxYlJmo

Considering there are no known good dumps, I assume someone either used a cheat on the Wii version or modded it in some way.  That's definitely Dolphin based on the audio quality from that era.

Huh. So I just noticed that Cross Generation of Heroes is the arcade title, but it is also the Japanese title of the Wii release, according to what I'm reading. Ultimate All Stars was an updated international version that was also re-released in Japan, so my mistake there. That makes it slightly confusing. So Cross Generation of Heroes was Arcade and Japanese Wii and then Ultimate All Stars was for Japanese, North American, and European Wii consoles. I hadn't been reading very carefully earlier and made the mistake of saying that ultimate all stars was the arcade game, I will amend my original post.

From looking at a video of the actual arcade version, it seems that this is the Wii version. The Arcade version would say "free play" (or presumably something about credits, if the person who owned the cabinet hadn't enabled it to not need tokens or whatever) instead of "press any button".

Also, yeah, I know about the three models of the Triforce, plus the various lock out chips used for Virtua Striker (and maybe some others?) That is irritating.

(also, it seems like I can't edit the original post.)